the little wild kingdom

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
counting the days until the new washer/dryer gets here. we finally reached our limit on the one we have (which has been a royal PITA since we got it). it's been taking way too long to get any laundry to finish and with how much Mom uses it for her quilting it was time to give up and move on.

the existing ones didn't even make it to three years. just not holding together or functioning correctly. not worth the time to try to fix as parts of it are corroding and it won't fix the negative other aspects (shredding and twisting clothes).

i went out and bought the new ones this morning. would love to shred the current one or toss it out in front of the obnoxious semi-truck driver right when he comes by... only daydreaming of that for sure but it gives me a moment of peace to think of it. :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
garden club meeting was fun yesterday, but there were only the two of us. i took some peas along with me to shell out just in case nobody showed up. but i was able to sit there and chatter and shell at the same time and got them done.

today looks like a squall line of rain is heading right at us in a few hours so i'll get out and get some weeding done while i can.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the funny coincidence was that the garden club person and their spouse were driving by when that accident happened out front and they stopped and made sure the person who hit the ditch and our fence was ok.

the accident was caused by the person going too fast and that they did not know there was a stop sign and someone was stopped at the stop sign so they found out too late and chose to take the ditch instead of rear-ending someone. they were obviously not a local as i guessed based upon the bit of plastic they left behind.

nobody told us (until yesterday)... but at least now i have a rough idea of when it happened. not as late as i thought. it was not quite dark yet. surprised that neither of us heard it or perhaps we were listening to music and if we did hear anything we'd probably assumed it was yet another person doing burn outs at the corner.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
finished up the SE corner of the fenced gardens with weeding. it is mostly squash plants growing all over each other and with all the tall grasses it really was like a jungle to go through it and get all those tall grasses out of there but also there were thousands of tiny grass plants just starting to grow so i was patient and lifting up all the leaves and stems and making sure to get all the stems with seeds pulled out of the squash tendrils that had a grip on some of them.

the groundhog was chewing on some of the squashes that had formed. in one case it had almost completely eaten the outside part of the squash and just left me the seeded core. so i did get the live trap out and will see if i can catch 'em.

today will be back to yet more weeding, i don't think i can finish up this last garden in one day or maybe even two days.

for a change yesterday after coming in from the first rounds of weeding and wanting to take a break i did sprawl out for a bit and then washed up a little and went to town to pick up some library books that had come in on delivery and then on the way back i saw my neighbor to the north sitting in his gazebo as i drove by and i'd not talked to him in a long time so i dropped off the groceries and then went back to say hi for a while.

i came back here a few hours later and right when i pulled up my e-mails there was a note from the roofing guy that he was on the way so i sent him a note back saying it was perfect timing that i'd just gotten back. so i was out weeding the North Garden again while he was up on the roof checking things out. he couldn't find anything obvious so we don't really have too much hope that he found the leaks. i told him that the next step would be to do what i wanted to do years and years ago but they didn't do it. when they reflashed the chimney i wanted them to take up the top two layers of shingles around the chimney and redo them to make sure it was all right. the roofers (some other company) had done the job poorly IMO and it's been intermittent trouble ever since then. we did replace the vents with some better ones and i'm sure that has helped but still not gotten the whole probably solved.

so back to weeding for a half hour last night, my body could not do any more but it was a perfect temperature with a nice breeze. i think today is going to be cooler - which will be nice. i did make a nice dent though even with the half hour i put in last night so it's not nearly as bad as it could be out there it just looks bad... i'm really glad to be getting all the purslane out of there before it can drop billions of seeds.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Plans are made to be broken, lol. (or something like that...)

i tell Mom that don't believe it until you see it because of how easy i can get sidetracked by whatever emergencies or circumstances come up. :)

today Mom is hoping to get the blueberry pies, pumpkin cakes (with cream cheese frosting) and boston brown bread delivered.

i just have to check the live trap and hope it is empty (i don't want to deal with that today - plus since it is raining it's going to be a mess so i will unset it) and get the worms fed here in my room and that will be about it i think.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
new washer and dryer unit should be delivered and installed today. :) :) :) hope it works better than this POC that has been a PITA since we got it.

can't quite celebrate until it is out the door and gone, but i'm happy just thinking about it happening at last...