the little wild kingdom

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
taken aside to this thread to not clutter up the Coffee one... :)

glad to have made progress on a project that's been hanging around for nearly 10 years. a pile of old paperwork that needed filing. i have the oldest pile done and filed leaving a more recent pile shoved over on a shelf to do yet. i can get this done today, or maybe tomorrow. i'm still quivering from what i just finished...

i had made progress before on this project by going through the pile and pulling out the obvious stuff that could go into the to be shredded pile. with a nice shredder on hand i don't let things get too deep any more. in fact today i only had a small amount to shred (which got done) but now i have a little more to do again already. i'll wait until this next pile gets gone through before i run it again.

i also got the mail today so all of that is also now dealt with... i have a lot more work to do on getting rid of old papers and shredding things but that is for another time. first things first to deal with this last pile of papers on the shelf and then i can get on to the other projects (which are much more interesting :) )... :) :) :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
and i did get that side smaller pile on the shelf gone through and filed or pulled out what could be shredded. :) it's going to take me some time to adjust to this new situation...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the moon was out for a bit last night before i fell asleep, woke up later to fog, and then frost this morning. might see some sunshine today, chances of snow this week but nothing too cold yet as the lowest temperature in the forecast is 27F. some more chances of sunshine too which will be good to see. it's been a long time without much sunshine. :)

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh the moon has been so wonderful and bright even through the fog,, we have had a LOT of fog all month and it messes with our cell phone reception.

I think I need to make a nice soup. I saved the turkey broth and meat, I have canned carrots & green beans to add to it. AND I found some wild rice I forgot I had, lololo

BTW--I still have that last row of beets out in the garden. We used all of the celery at thanksgiving but I left the roosts in the ground and its growing back.

I made a kale salad last night and used some of the garlic honey to make a dressing, it was nice. I gave my youngest daughter (36) my jar of honey ginger when she came up, so I need to go get more ginger and get it fermenting in honey.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
one of the several Purple Dove outcrosses i grew out this season to see what they were like.
i don't know if it is stable yet and still have to verify other aspects of this bean, but i like the seed coat well enough to see if i can get it stable.

DSC_20231231_164109-0500_2252_Flair_thm.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
a gray and greenish color with the all white hilum (similar to Flair). only these four seeds found. may be a challenge to grow again. it is likely that Flair and this one are out crosses of Purple Dove and Lavender.

DSC_20240101_101327-0500_2253_Gray_Green_thm.jpg

the same hat marking but with the hilum darker more like Purple Dove. the color is distinctly darker than most Purple Dove.

DSC_20240101_101623-0500_2254_Fluffy_thm.jpg

gray and some hat marking along with the color being almost burgundy in the darker area. other markings on the seed coat.

DSC_20240101_101822-0500_2255_Grayhat_thm.jpg

distinctly larger, darker and rounder than Purple Dove, some patterned markings on the seed coat.

DSC_20240101_102242-0500_2257_Bobo_thm.jpg

this might just be the same as Fluffy, but a different group of seeds, i can't quite tell yet.

DSC_20240101_102528-0500_2258_Topmark_thm.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Those are really beautiful beans!

the real frustrating thing to me is that these pictures rarely really capture the color and complexity of them as well as what you can see in good light and with your own eyes.

i have a bunch more but i'm not sure how many i will get pictured and posted. :)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Agree...pretty to look at😁

That's the fun -- the surprise when you peel it open!

Do the purple dove lose their color when cooked?

I have seeds for yellow & purple cauli this year. They were actually hard seed to get -- sold outs. But I am hoping to get each to grow a crop for me.🤞 They do hold their color cooked 👍

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Do the purple dove lose their color when cooked?

yes, the purple color will go out into the water and if the water is acidic it will be a pinkish color and if the water is basic it will be bluish/grayish. the beans will also have that color.

when picked fresh the beans are purple and when you cook them they turn dark green.

I have seeds for yellow & purple cauli this year. They were actually hard seed to get -- sold outs. But I am hoping to get each to grow a crop for me.🤞 They do hold their color cooked 👍

not many vegetables hold colors when cooked. beets and carrots are the two we eat the most often.

we like purples in anything we can grow here but all attempts at broc or cauli have always been eaten by the groundhogs.