The Old Ways

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I remember reading an article about watering a bunch of potted plants - equal numbers using water that had been microwaved and cooled, and water that had been boiled on the stove and cooled... the plants watered with the microwaved water apparently all died after a period of time (don't remember how long) while the other plants continued to thrive. Since boiling would be killing the bacteria in both cases, I'm not sure that was the reason. Of course, the article didn't specify whether they used plastic dishes in the microwave; would have been good to know...

I prefer to cook with the stove simply because there are few things that the microwave can do better. When my microwave bit the Big One, I didn't replace it. Now I have one again, because the trailer we just bought has one in it, but that's very inconvenient to use so we still don't use it.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know several people who are still convinced that microwaves use nuclear radiation and have tiny reactor cores in them. You cannot explain anything to them.

All the actual real research on microwaved food has shown that it protects the nutrients in vegetables better than other cooking methods if used correctly. The vast majority of people really have no clue how to use one.

It cooks quicker. Cooking time is the enemy of nutrients and vitamins. Also uses the less water which leaches out vitamins.

I use mine for the rare reheating since I've gotten good at judging how much to make.

Corn on the cob. Cut off the stem end so the shuck is unattached and microwave for a couple minutes. Grab with a towel and squeeze the cob out of the shuck. Steams it perfect and usually no silk. It's quicker and doesn't require a huge pot of water to do it.

Most veggies only take a couple minutes and very little water.

Baked potatoes turn out tastiest in the oven but you can microwave them to half done before putting them in and they taste the same. Saves time and electricity.

Meat doesn't cook properly. Even if Mom's first microwave from 1980 had turkey instructions and was big enough.

My uncle helped put himself through college back in 1975 with a microwave. He took his savings and bought one for his dorm room and then charged people to reheat their food. The thing paid for itself in a couple months.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Corn on the cob. Cut off the stem end so the shuck is unattached and microwave for a couple minutes. Grab with a towel and squeeze the cob out of the shuck. Steams it perfect and usually no silk. It's quicker and doesn't require a huge pot of water to do it.
I have used it for corn on the cob - but it's been so long since I've eaten corn that I totally forgot. It's really good that way!
My uncle helped put himself through college back in 1975 with a microwave. He took his savings and bought one for his dorm room and then charged people to reheat their food. The thing paid for itself in a couple months.
That's ingenuity right there!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had an electric rice cooker for 18 years that I'd steam veggies in as well. I loved that thing

Have a One Pot now so can do much in it and take less space than all the others did together. Gadget space is a huge issue here.

I have a wok that I like to do veggie stir fries in for my lunch. Usually if it's frozen veggies for dinner like corn and sweetpeas, they go in a pot with a little water.

I heavily butter all our veggies now like grandma did. Found we eat less food overall and have been losing weight.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have two aprons I use a lot. I will admit I'm fat so finding ones that fit right was great. I took my best one down to mom since she wants to make a few of them. They will fit other family members.

Sewing seems to be something that only a few do anymore. I know people who cant fix a button or hem pants. Heck, hubby has a favorite belt he's worn for 20+ years. The threads holding the buckle on gave out so he asked me to fix it. Trip to the store for proper thread and I saddle stitched it back together.

Oh I love sewing aprons!! I have sewn most of my life....52 of my 55 years. I like to make aprons because you can create them any way that makes you happy.

Some places have home ec, but it's a bit out of favor these days. I think the high school here has it though.

My daughter likes wearing aprons, lol, but I don't have any adult sized ones!

I need to post pics of my latest aprons....child and adult sizes. :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a microwave and use it to reheat food. If it kills food, it doesn't matter because I've already eaten the majority of it before I "killed" it in the microwave.

I guess I follow a lot of old ways, we all do. We raise our food. We preserve our food in the "old ways". How many people besides on these forums, do you know that do this? And how many do you know that think you are wacky for working so hard when it is so easy to buy it already cooked/frozen at the store?

Stand up and take your bows. You are one of the few.