The Self-Sufficient Skills thread (new name, old thread!)

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Tortoise- that is SERIOUSLY NICE! :woot

I learned to use a drop spindle last year in a bid to use up some of my fleece that has been sitting around from when I used to have a place for my spinning wheel. I have a few skeins done, but haven't used up much fleece yet. It's amazing how much yarn a fleece makes.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
And just how much yard DOES a fleece make??? (Getting a fleece on Monday, wondering if I should get more than one or if I am just being silly....)

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
How much are you planning on spinning? I can't see a dent in my brown fleece, and I have made 4 skeins on my wheel (long ago) and another 3 so far with the spindle. I even went through the fleece this summer and got rid of some of the marginal parts of it since it seemed like I had so much to work with.

I want an alpaca fleece this spring! (not that I have time to spin it, either :/)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
This will be my first attempt...I have grandma's wool carders and will make a drop spindle. Then will sit in front of the computer watching youtube instructional videos, trying to make yarn!

If I get enough, the plan is to make something rustic for myself. A vest? Socks? Mittens? I don't know....how much yarn will I get? Are your skeins standard four ounce skeins, or are homemade measured differently? Do I need to ply it, too?

Haven't done much research yet, since I just stumbled across this fleece opportunity.

I would love to stuff a quilt with fleece. How many would I need? I suppose they could be lower quality, shorter fibers and such. So exciting!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I was reading an old MEN mag the other day and found a neat article about making yarn from the brushings of Great Pyrs. The lady was using her pottery wheel to make the thread/yarn.

Anyone else using nontraditional fiber like rabbit or dog for their yarn?

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We've been considering using the poodles' hair. We have 4 miniature poodles and we're keeping one of our mini labradoodles this year, so we'll have a fleecey f1b labradoodle as well :)

I noticed my goats are scratching cause its been so warm and their winter coat is falling out and its all fleecey lol... I've been collecting it and admiring it haha. I might take the slicker brush to them tomorrow.

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Wet dog hair yarn smells like, yup, you guessed it, wet dog. Even when it's mixed into other stuff. I used to work at a doggie daycare and had access to literally pounds of hair. I hired a lady to spin it mixed with wool. I knit a hat out of it, and every time it rained (which was every day in Washington) my head would smell like wet dog. Which I actually don't mind, but some people might.

I had my wool sheep processed on Saturday, I asked them to save the skin for me, and I plan on shaving it. They put it in the freezer for me, has anyone done this? Will the wool be damaged from being sheared post mortem, post freezing?

I can always use it as mulch, but I wanted to try to salvage some of it at least.

Latest posts