The Self-Sufficient Skills thread (new name, old thread!)

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Done !

freemotion said:
Hey, please start a new thread on rocket stoves and how to make them....please-please-please??? I want to learn, too, and we want others to be able to find the information later. I have bricks!!!! I have sticks!!! My neighbors already know I'm a wingnut!!! :lol:

Morning Dove

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
New Skills for 09

Making Yogurt and Cottage Cheese. Cooking all kinds of new foods, such as lentils and tofu, but best of all....

This week a friend from church is teaching me to can peaches! I'm so tickled! I'm also looking into knitting and or crocheting with "plarn".

Dove

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
You beat me to it ! I am gonna guess some kind of plastic yarn, but if that's it I am not sure what the application would be. This is going to be educational !

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I learned how to make lip balm :D Okay, that's not necessary for survival, but it makes like nice. I found a recipe on a bee forum for bee's wax, food oil and essential oils. It is SO easy and so nice on my lips. I make bigger tub to soothe all the terrible blackberry vine gouges.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I learned how to make lip balm :D Okay, that's not necessary for survival, but it makes like nice. I found a recipe on a bee forum for bee's wax, food oil and essential oils. It is SO easy and so nice on my lips. I make bigger tub to soothe all the terrible blackberry vine gouges.
Recipe? PLEASE?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
1) Use of hammer

2) Learned how to put pills down a calf's throat

3) Learned to use cross cut saw

4) Learned how to use manual post hole digger, and dug posts for new poultry pen.

5) Learned how to clean a horse's (or in my case pony's) hooves with a hoof pick.

6) Learned how to trim that same pony's hooves.

7) Learned to use a weedeater

8) Learned how to make jam! with a water bath canner.

9) Learned how to take an alternator off my Jeep, and put the new alternator on!!!!!! :celebrate

10) Learned how to lay shingles