The Vitamin D thing

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I went in the last week of December and had my Vitamin D level checked. As I mentioned last November at http://sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3792 it was discovered that I was deficient. My regular doctor was gone the last week of December so I had another doctor from the same clinic set up the test. The doctor who set up this December test had his nurse call the other day and told me that the test showed that I was still low in D. They went on to say that I should take 1,000 I.U. a day to get caught up. When I told the nurse that I had been taking 30,000 I.U. for the last couple of weeks she almost dropped the phone. She told me that I needed to cut back to 1,000 immediately before I become toxic. When I asked how I could become toxic when my test showed that I was low, it was silent on the other end of the phone, and then she made the remark that that was a good question. I told her that if I take less than 30,000 I get sluggish, tired and rundown. She said that I still needed to cut back.

The next day I called my regular doctors office and told them about the conversation above. After talking to the doctor, they got back to me and said that I should stick with the 30,000 and come in for another test in February.

This was all done in the same clinic. It looks like the medical community is all over the place on this D thing.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I know. They have been taught for years that anything over 400 iu/day is risky. Well, when the body uses between 4000-6000 iu/day, and 20 minutes in the sun can produce 10,000 iu, the recommendation to keep your dose at 1000 iu sounds just silly.

If you are still low at 30,000 IU, you may have some other underlying chronic health problems. Are you diabetic, overweight, or have a history of heart disease or cancer? Age can also effect your body's ability to properly use vitamin d.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Hi Tallman! I was wondering how that was going for you. Miss seeing you here on the boards.

No offense to anyone here, but I no longer take a (local) nurse's advice seriously, unless she is relaying verbatim what the doctor has said.
Just had too many terrible suggestions, misinformation. (except MacKay whom I have the utmost respect for :bow)
I would have double checked with my doctor same as you.

As a matter of fact, years ago I went to the urgent care for what I suspected was a kidney stone, had the attending Dr tell me it was a bladder infection, gave me antibiotics (my first in 15 years), no test for kidney stone. I saw my PC doctor when she returned 2 days later. She had a fit about that diagnosis and antibiotics, ordered scans which showed a stone.
I had never had a urinary infection in my life.
So not all docs from the same place are on the same page about anything. :(
BTW, Second opinions were how we found the real diagnosis fir DH, too.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I know. They have been taught for years that anything over 400 iu/day is risky. Well, when the body uses between 4000-6000 iu/day, and 20 minutes in the son can produce 10,000 iu, the recommendation to keep your dose at 1000 iu sounds just silly.

If you are still low at 30,000 IU, you may have some other underlying chronic health problems. Are you diabetic, overweight, or have a history of heart disease or cancer? Age can also effect your body's ability to properly use vitamin d.
No health troubles. I'm 62 years old, 6'2", weigh in at 230 lbs, and IMO am just an all around wonderful guy! I don't know what my blood pressure is, but everyone who takes it likes it so I guess it's okay. My daughter-in-law is an RN and she thinks I need to have my thyroid checked. Might just do it sometime.

Zilla, thanks to you I get my "D" from Carlson's.

Hi right back to you Sylvie. I haven't been on much. Nice to see that someone still recognizes me!

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Tallman, lets hope your levels come up in your next check but if they do not don't panic. First reconsider the product you are using. There is vitamin D3 and then there is vitamin D3.

I recommend the Bio-tech products a quick search and you will find it.

here, she's got good prices here:

http://www.vitalady.com/cgi-bin/com...=+not+sfsyrup&SortKey=sku&SortOrder=ascending

I and others I have know have validated the effectiveness of this product though blood work.

I take about 5,000 a day and 50,000 iu twice a month to keep between 70 and 90 levels. If I miss a 5,000 dose I take 10,000 the next day, if I remember.... I convienently forget sometimes cause taking pills is a drag, but I do try to be fairly consistent and I certainly was during my lab test days.

When I started with biotech I took 50,000 3 x day for a couple of weeks. That was after failing at lower dosages in a fish oil base as recommended by my doctor. I think shes given that up now.
My initial level was somewhere in the 20's.

Always remember when you go to the doctor that they are ususally a light year or two behind in the new revelations... unless you have a really hip doc who spends spare time not at the golf course but reading nutrition journals and attending progressive conferences.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
No health troubles. I'm 62 years old, 6'2", weigh in at 230 lbs
Well, age does effect how your body uses D...and you aren't exactly a tiny person :D Those could be playing a big part.

Always remember when you go to the doctor that they are ususally a light year or two behind in the new revelations
:gig

peachykeen

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I started taking 4000IU a day with liquid Vitamin D3. Havent had more than the sniffles all winter.

Hubby refuses to try it and he hasnt been sick either. *shrug*

I'm also taking Fish Liver Oil and Glucosamine for my arthritis (I am 23! So far, no improvement. Buying a dehumidifier has helped more than the pills, thats for sure.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just looked up this thread again. I got some regular bloodwork done a couple of weeks ago. Good news is that my cholestrol is steady, but on the high side; the blood sugar is steady but on a high side; but my Vit D was very low.

They faxed in an Rx for Vit D to CVS drug store. I'll get it this weekend when I'm back in town with my Mother. But I did find a bottle of Vit D3 from Costco - 2000 i.u. I guess I'll start taking the Costco ones, and see what the Rx is for and how it suits me.

Funny that I'm outside a whole lot, now that I'm unemployed. But I don't drink milk due to lactose intolerance. We eat a varied diet, with lots of greens (just joined a CSA group for 2x a month box of local veggies).

Any new thoughts on all this?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
murphysranch said:
Just looked up this thread again. I got some regular bloodwork done a couple of weeks ago. Good news is that my cholestrol is steady, but on the high side; the blood sugar is steady but on a high side; but my Vit D was very low.

They faxed in an Rx for Vit D to CVS drug store. I'll get it this weekend when I'm back in town with my Mother. But I did find a bottle of Vit D3 from Costco - 2000 i.u. I guess I'll start taking the Costco ones, and see what the Rx is for and how it suits me.

Funny that I'm outside a whole lot, now that I'm unemployed. But I don't drink milk due to lactose intolerance. We eat a varied diet, with lots of greens (just joined a CSA group for 2x a month box of local veggies).

Any new thoughts on all this?
These articles may be very helpful for you.
http://www.westonaprice.org/Cod-Liver-Oil-Basics-and-Recommendations.html

http://www.westonaprice.org/Cod-Liver-Oil-The-Number-One-Superfood.html

http://www.westonaprice.org/Cod-Liver-Oil/

http://www.westonaprice.org/Cod-Liver-Oil-Manufacturing.html

http://www.westonaprice.org/Cod-Liver-Oil-Setting-the-Record-Straight.html

Latest posts