The Vitamin D thing

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
It depends on what you've done for the depression. If it is ONLY seasonal, up the D for the season and go back to this dosage for the rest of the year. If it's hit or miss around the calendar, something more than lack of D is going on and you should work on that as its own issue.

I get completely nutters around the time I start seriously craving green things to eat. If I could remember to take D daily, I could test if it was a lack of D. :rolleyes:

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Reuse-it said:
I just found this thread. A friend sent me an article early in the fall about boosting vit D to avoid flu and colds. I started taking 1000 in the morning and 1000 at bedtime. I also work in greenhouses and outside, so I am in the sun a lot and in Fl so I get sunshine.

My husband got the flu that sent him to bed for three days. He is the healthy one. I get everything, but this year I did not even get his flu ( in our tiny little house).

I am a believer. But do you think I should up the intake?
I am very tan in the spring and summer, but by this time of year I am pale again.

I do get depression. Things are bad and I have little optimism for the future. I was never like that before.
the Vit D has helped, along with the Thyroid meds, but i could improve my out look a bit more.
I would advise fermented cod liver oil, to ensure a good balance of A and D. www.drrons.com
If you are on thyroid meds, look at his organs section for adrenals and thyroid. I use the thyroid and LOVE it.
Usually the adrenals are indicated with thyroid issues. I just started taking Iso Cort for them.

Reuse-it

Power Conserver
Reaction score
abifae said:
It depends on what you've done for the depression. If it is ONLY seasonal, up the D for the season and go back to this dosage for the rest of the year. If it's hit or miss around the calendar, something more than lack of D is going on and you should work on that as its own issue.

I get completely nutters around the time I start seriously craving green things to eat. If I could remember to take D daily, I could test if it was a lack of D. :rolleyes:
We have been having dinner of JUST green salads, We are like starving caterpillars. Yes, we are craving the first garden greens.

I have wondered in the past if people who are in the sun a lot, lifeguards, nursery people.. ect if perhaps we get a vit D threshold.
Like type two diabetics. We need more Vit D to make it work.

I will look into the cod liver oil. My husband takes fish oil, but I can't stand the fish burps. I assume the fermentation takes away that liver oil urp-i-ness?
Thanks

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Wasn't rolling patients out in to the solarium part of old hospital treatments?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Reuse-it said:
abifae said:

We have been having dinner of JUST green salads, We are like starving caterpillars. Yes, we are craving the first garden greens.

I have wondered in the past if people who are in the sun a lot, lifeguards, nursery people.. ect if perhaps we get a vit D threshold.
Like type two diabetics. We need more Vit D to make it work.

I will look into the cod liver oil. My husband takes fish oil, but I can't stand the fish burps. I assume the fermentation takes away that liver oil urp-i-ness?
Thanks
:D A dinner of just greens is very unbalanced. At the very least add some good locally grown eggs and butter on top of the salads.

Fermented clo is strong, but you can get it in pill form.
There are good reasons for the raw fermented. Its the same stuff the Vikings made and used.
It supplies 500 IUs of D along with 5,000 IUs if A. When taken this way, you get a strong synergistic working together, and the D will be utilized better then if you were taking just synthetic D.
Fish oils will never give you the vitamins that the body craves.
In fact they tend to unbalance the Omega intake.

Oh, and you can play around with how you take the clo.
When we are taking the liquid, we float it on top of a bit of orange juice and take it right before eating breakfast.
Some people take it right before bed, and others find it works best in the middle of a meal.
When we are taking the gel, I encapsulate it in size 00 capsules.

Best part of taking this stuff? Never sunburning again!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Wasn't rolling patients out in to the solarium part of old hospital treatments?
Yes, but they covered them up to there ears in blankets :lol:
At least their eyeballs let the sun in!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Reuse-it said:
I just found this thread. A friend sent me an article early in the fall about boosting vit D to avoid flu and colds. I started taking 1000 in the morning and 1000 at bedtime. I also work in greenhouses and outside, so I am in the sun a lot and in Fl so I get sunshine.

My husband got the flu that sent him to bed for three days. He is the healthy one. I get everything, but this year I did not even get his flu ( in our tiny little house).

I am a believer. But do you think I should up the intake?
I am very tan in the spring and summer, but by this time of year I am pale again.

I do get depression. Things are bad and I have little optimism for the future. I was never like that before.
the Vit D has helped, along with the Thyroid meds, but i could improve my out look a bit more.
You are taking the same level that I am and I also have depression issues and thyroid meds.

Sometimes more is not always better. I am a believer in the Vitamin D3 however! I am like you I have been FAR more healthy since starting it.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Just keep in mind that the average woman USES 4000 iu/day. Guys use about 6000 iu.

You can OD, but it takes months, and usually happens when you take repeated SUPER HIGH doses like 40,000 IU/day.

If you have any doubts about your dosage, have your level tested.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ya know... I've had bloodwork done before when they were monitoring my bi-polar. I've only ever taken supplements during last winter and once in awhile I'll "steal" a sour gummy vitamin from the bottle when the kids are paying more attention to eating their vitamins than they are their mother. But, the bloodwork had always come back "normal". Well, all except the one that I drank a huge thing of extra sweet tea before I had blood taken... That one came back with a sugar level that they wanted to keep an eye on, lol. I found my fish oil gels but cannot find my D3 pills. I can get 400 pills of 5k IU for ten bucks, but I'm so damn cheap that I'm not sure I want to fork that out when I KNOW I have another bottle around somewhere in my moving boxes. :/

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
Ya know... I've had bloodwork done before when they were monitoring my bi-polar. I've only ever taken supplements during last winter and once in awhile I'll "steal" a sour gummy vitamin from the bottle when the kids are paying more attention to eating their vitamins than they are their mother. But, the bloodwork had always come back "normal". Well, all except the one that I drank a huge thing of extra sweet tea before I had blood taken... That one came back with a sugar level that they wanted to keep an eye on, lol. I found my fish oil gels but cannot find my D3 pills. I can get 400 pills of 5k IU for ten bucks, but I'm so damn cheap that I'm not sure I want to fork that out when I KNOW I have another bottle around somewhere in my moving boxes. :/
I love the Blue Ice formula, because its a 6 month supply for $45.
So when it is time to buy more, take a look at that, to see if its a better value for you.
You need a 10-1 ratio of A to D to get the D to work best.