The Vitamin D thing

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Murphysranch, I haven't a clue as to why you got a prescription for vitamin D. It is a non prescription item and hence you may be paying more than you need to. Be sure it is D3 not D2. Doctors who are not up to day may still be prescribing this lessor form.

Ben sure to get your D3 levels checked again at about 4 to 6 weeks after supplementation starts. If it does not come up you will need to find a beter product. I went through this myself when I starte several years ago. I recommend Biotec D3 brand.. Do a search and you will easily find it and where to purchase.

My friend, who insisted that she couldn't possibly be vitamin D deficient finally got tested due to my insistence. She was rock bottom low at 11.....50 being the new standard for minimal safety.
She is 50 years old and out in the garden a fair amount... but she has been having health challenges this winter. Her B12 also needed supplementaion to the point that the doctor is having her take a shot daily for one week, then on to once a month. Now this is with someone who eats meat. Just think of how bad it could be for a vegetarian.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just looked up the Rx. It says Vitamin D, 50,000 units. From CVS. My copay was $10, for one month (4 pills). Wonder why it doesn't say what kind of Vit D?

ZohBug

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
The only Rx vitamin D is made by Pliva and it's D2 not D3. I use the D3 by Biotech. My levels never came up higher than the low 30s with the D2 by Pliva.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I'm glad this post was revved. I always get SAD in the winter. The minute the sun comes back out, I am outside and start feeling better. I never thought to supplement with Vitamin D, at least in the winter months. I will be trying now.

Whenever I do feel sick, I make myself go outside on sunny days, even if I lay down on a lounge chair wrapped in blankets, I find I feel better. I am a firm believer in fresh air, sunshine and excercise to get a sick person healty again.

Now I'll go back outside and get me some of that free vitamin D :lol:

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I'd just like to comment that I have been taking 3,000 IU a day for the past week, after bloodwork came back real low on vit D.... and I can't believe how much more energy I have. Like, wow.

I drink plenty of milk (although it is commercial pasteurized milk) and spend probably an hour a day out in the sun, but, this has really made a BIG difference.

Pat

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
You are in Canada. The odds of you getting enough D from sunlight is kind of slim unless you intentionally lay out in a bikini during mid day.

The average woman uses 5000 iu/day. You would have to drink over 50 glasses of milk to get that.

If you use sun screen, you aren't getting ANY D.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ZohBug said:
The only Rx vitamin D is made by Pliva and it's D2 not D3. I use the D3 by Biotech. My levels never came up higher than the low 30s with the D2 by Pliva.
A perfect example Zohbug, on how little your doctor knows and how disinterested pharmaceutical companies are in your health.

Biotech it an excellent brand and I have seen it bring many people up to a reasonable level quickly and they give you a choice of high potency to get the job done quickly. Be sure to get checked again to make sure you are where you need to be. Evidence is showing that some older people may need up to 10,000 IU daily to keep around a 60 level..... of coure I don't know how old you are, but everyone's ability to absorb and utilize vitamins varies.

Ammycin

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
If you need necessary vitamin, then take COQ10 (Coenzyme). It is essentially a vitamin or vitamin-like substance and necessary for the basic functioning of cells. I've been on Generic For CoQ10 100MG. It maintain vitamin or mineral level constantly. You can get info online at International Drug Mart.

Reuse-it

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I just found this thread. A friend sent me an article early in the fall about boosting vit D to avoid flu and colds. I started taking 1000 in the morning and 1000 at bedtime. I also work in greenhouses and outside, so I am in the sun a lot and in Fl so I get sunshine.

My husband got the flu that sent him to bed for three days. He is the healthy one. I get everything, but this year I did not even get his flu ( in our tiny little house).

I am a believer. But do you think I should up the intake?
I am very tan in the spring and summer, but by this time of year I am pale again.

I do get depression. Things are bad and I have little optimism for the future. I was never like that before.
the Vit D has helped, along with the Thyroid meds, but i could improve my out look a bit more.