The working dog...post a pic and tell us about them!

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the simple life said:
Mine are "working" on my last nerve.
:lol:

I was going to say mine was working on depleting my checking account by requiring a special diet and numerous vet visits.

We have a golden retriever and she is a good watch dog, even though she is dumb as a brick.

Here is Penny

P3270062.jpg

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
There is a post on BYC right now about the high cost of vets and about worming products and such. How do you all worm, how often, how much do you pay for the medicine, etc. ?

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My DH is in charge of the whole vet department so I'm not sure what brand of wormer she's had. As for the cost, lets just say that man could charm the socks off a snake so we've gotten almost all that type of stuff as free samples.

I do know that the feed store stocks all of the same wormers/flea products as the vet. I haven't compared prices lately but now that you've brought it up I'm going to check next time I go.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Here are my babies.
72_rocky1.jpg

This is my rottweiler. He is a great and fearless companion dog. I got him when we lived up north. i liked to to for walks in the bush, but wanted "security" to ward off bears and the like. He is the best dog I have ever had, and we've had lots.

72_img_3019.jpg

This is our Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. She is the best hunting dog ever. Her breed is called the versatile hunter, and she points, flushes, tracks, and retrieves. She can do it all and she lives her life to hunt. She is a bit highstrung as far as dogs go, but we love her.

ETA, that is a ruffed grouse in her mouth, and you can see Rocky's nosein the pic.

Joebwe25

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
My dog scruffy-
Pet and
Fly catcher
89_scruffy.jpg

She's really quick!
She also catches mice and other vermin. (that's what terriers are for)

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth,
your rottie looks like our Bosch. He is a rottie/black lab mix. So handsome!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Knock the legs out from under a toddler, don't they! They actually hurt on bare legs!! :rolleyes:

We were discussing worm medicine and prices on BYC the other day. What do you guys use, is it costly, get it from the vet, etc. ?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Vet prices etc really steam me. Two dogs and one cat and I get out of there for under $600. We use revolution--a necessary evil around here. When we lived up north, there is no heartworm, or ticks. We ewere never bothered with fleas there either. So vet bills up there wer alot cheaper.

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
He gets checked for heartworm at the vet but doesn't get regular meds. We do use (and need) the flea, tick and mosquito (?) liquid. That works well. That may be $10. -$12.00 or so at Target. (3 months supply)