The working dog...post a pic and tell us about them!

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just came across this post. We have a border collie, Bear, as well as 2 blue heelers and a jack russell. Don't have any close-ups on the computer but I do have this one of Bear helping us move the horses from one pasture to another.
I hope I know how to get it to come up.
335_014_11.jpg
[/img]

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
UncleJoe....now THAT is coooooool! I love to see those herd dogs in action...and your horses are lovely as they run! :)

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here are my two dogs. They are in training (and will be for the next year) to do cart pulling. I intend on them being able to help out around the farm (as soon as we move...). They are both breeds built for pulling and as long as Chewie (the tri-color), doesn't outgrow Oreo too much, they should work well as a team. Right now their training is learning to obey commands and wearing backpacks to get them used to weight and having a harness on. When they get a little older we are going to start having them wear a harness that has poles attatched. When they are about 1.5yrs (they are both 9mos now), we will start having them pull carts that have some weight to them. Going to be a long process, but I think we can do it.

9a7a5fa6-841a-11dd-b7b9-0016764050b.jpg

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
They say dogs are much happier when they get to work all the time. I think the training to a cart is an excellent idea. We used to harness one of my dogs to the sled and have him pull the kids, pull in some firewood, haul brush, etc. He loved it!

It all started one day when we were trying to sleigh ride. He got so upset with the kids screaming and laughing, (thought they were getting hurt, I guess) that he would stand in front of their sleigh and wouldn't let them go down the hill. So, we put him to work giving rides and he was quite happy about that! Then we just expanded it from there. I think it made him feel real special and we gave a lot of praise and petting with each task. He ate that up!

Please post pics when you get the dogs in full working gear and cart....it would be something to see!

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you poppycat & Beekissed. I took a whole roll that day. I have a couple more of the horses & donkeys running around. One of them we enlarged to 11x14 and hung it on the wall. I also have some head shots of individuals while they are at rest. It didn't seem appropriate to put them in a dog thread though.
Joe

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
OH, C'mon! We like to see pics of just about anything....especially animals! :)

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When I was growing up I had a Newfoundland that would pull us in our sled across the snow, frozen lakes, etc. She always seemed to enjoy it, and I know we did! Both my dogs are pulling breeds and we already know Chewie loves to pull me on my bike (I don't have to pedal at all). You can bet I will be taking pictures of all steps of their training.