There is a possum in my kitchen!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We're getting there, Aly! :lol: Henrietta is going to post the applicable recipe and it will be alright.

This has just been an....um..instructional...yeah, that's it! Instructional saga on how to make the possum in your kitchen into a tastey SS meal! Yeah..that's it! :D

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
We're getting there, Aly! :lol: Henrietta is going to post the applicable recipe and it will be alright.

This has just been an....um..instructional...yeah, that's it! Instructional saga on how to make the possum in your kitchen into a tastey SS meal! Yeah..that's it! :D
The possum I came home to was very Lucky - I'm vegetarian. But I handled it pretty well and didn't call anybody to do it for me. My husband says it was trying to be dinner. It was by the spices so maybe . . .

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Aw, that lil possum just heard about how peaceful it is at your place now and wanted to check it out. :D
Is it gone yet?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh my Bee!! I just knew when I came online today....looking for a "pick me up" I would find it. Thanks! :) Possum in the kitchen = dinner....for some of my family members...long lost family members... :lol: NOT ME!!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Bearing in mind that I am not all that imaginative, creative or countrified you will know that I am not making this up.

From the Joy of Cooking cookbook by Irma S. Rombauer and MarionRombauer Becker "The AMerican Household Classic Revised and Expanded with over 4,500 recipes and 1,000 informative illustrations"
Opossum:
Please read about small game, 513
If possible, trap 'possum and feed it on milk and cereal for 10 days before killing. Clean, but do not skin. Treat as for pig by immersing the unskinned animal in water just below the boiling point. Test frequently by plucking at the hair. When it slips out readily, remove the opossum from the water and scrape. While scraping repeatedly, pour cool water over the surface of the animal. Remove small red glands in small of the back and under each foreleg between shoulder and ribs. Parblanch, 154, about 20 minutes, then roast as for pork, 477, or use recipes for rabbit. Serve with turnip greens.

Sorry, no informative illustration with this one! :p

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, you guys are weinies! Come on, live a little! :lol:

But seriously, I was living way out in the boonies renting an old family farm house (not my family, but one that was still in ITS family, ya get me?) Beautiful little hutches in the back yard, well made with waterers, feeders, covered wire edges. Very nice. I assumed they were rabbit hutches. No no, I was informed that they were possum hutches! The guy's grandad (the man who built the house) raised meat possums! :sick
Now, I've eaten a lot of strange things in my life, but I've never had possum. From the smells of the few that have turned up in the yard I wouldn't want to. Maybe its different when they've been fed a controlled diet, but ick!!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Javamama said:
Aw, that lil possum just heard about how peaceful it is at your place now and wanted to check it out. :D
Is it gone yet?
Didn't mean to make this confusing. This thread was actually talking about 2 different possums. I tried to post a pic too- but am tech challenged.

Beekissed had one walk in the kitchen door on Aug 15. It didn't want to leave but got "evicted" anyway. Way to go - Bee! :clap

The one sleeping on the counter was last year- in Fla. I came home late night from work and it was sleeping off a bellyfull of my kitty's food. I used a big plastic bucket to get rid of it. Shoved its butt end with the lid :smack so it landed inside and tossed it into some trees.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
Javamama said:
Is it gone yet?
Didn't mean to make this confusing. This thread was actually talking about 2 different possums. I tried to post a pic too- but am tech challenged.

Beekissed had one walk in the kitchen door on Aug 15. It didn't want to leave but got "evicted" anyway. Way to go - Bee! :clap

The one sleeping on the counter was last year- in Fla. I came home late night from work and it was sleeping off a bellyfull of my kitty's food. I used a big plastic bucket to get rid of it. Shoved its butt end with the lid :smack so it landed inside and tossed it into some trees.
:lol:

What ever happened to the possums playing dead? When I was a kid a possum was in my Mom's antique shop. We tried to shoo it out with a broom and it tipped over "dead"...with that possum smirk still on its face. :sick