Thermostat--your winter LOW

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We are just in the high 50s with tons of sunshine and no wind.

Nicole and I are going out bike riding in just a minute. Our day is nice and livable out there. Great day here. Off I go into the pretty sunshine to bike! :)

I feel for you. 2 deg. the high? UGH

oh I had a coal stove when we lived in PA. That made the house so warm and nice. Plus I didn't get the wood burning smell which I don't like. Coal burned forever too.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I thought it would be appropriate to post this article I found, about people who choose to live without heat, on this thread.

Organics North

Power Conserver
Reaction score
-12 F last night, basement back up furnace went on once. (Set at 60 F) We heat with wood and the basement furnace only kicks on at -10 or lower outside temp. Usually only once a "cold" night. (I will wake up and put more wood in..:D)

We keep bed room doors closed at night so it is cold when we sleep. When in the living room by the wood stove it is HOT.. I like it that way, I am in the house very little, so when I am in I like to warm up.

We are almost always cold when visiting other people, and I have never been so cold in my life as when we were visiting family in Northern California in March. (Poor furnace, no insulation, and single pane windows!!!!) We could not wait to get back to our insulated tight house in Northern Wisconsin..) Keep in mind I work outside most of the day in all temps including -20 F...

I don't know how so many of you live in a 55 degree house. Heck I wear wool socks and polar tec in my 80 degree house at night. I am in on a break typing with thermal underwear, wool socks wool pants polar tec sweater and wool coat. (Needed to take my mittens off inorder to type...;))

ON

ON

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That was a great read. It made me feel guilty and gave me hope all at once.

Two things I learned.

1. I really don't need to set my furnace to 65 at night. We wont freeze.

2. If I keep it cold inside I might loose weight. Whoo hoo!!! You would think the exact opposite would happen. Like your body needed the padding for insulation. But I guess not.

:clap
g

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I'm glad you both enjoyed that article. I thought it was a fun read too.

If you want to get started learning to live with a cooler house, my advice is to go gradually. You won't notice it as much that way.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
OMG I loved that article Drake!!

My fingers are frozen as I try to type! I need to get up and MOVE! I rarely turn the heat on. The wood burning stove has been off all year except for that one freezing cold week we had in December.

Just wish I could burn more fat! :lol: Boy you know I perked up when I read that! HA!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I thought you might enjoy that article, BBH. :)

I think it takes time to burn fat passively that way, and you have to be careful not to eat more because you are cold. I don't think it is as easy as they make it sound.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Since we got the chimney cleaned, we have only used the fireplace insert to heat the house. Most of the time we wear long johns (or pajama bottoms) under our jeans and many layers on top, sometimes we even wear a hat inside the house. SO often wears his parka in the house.
If we are working outside and going in and out a lot, it just doesn't make sense to even light a fire. We just wait til we are ready to settle in for the evening and then start the fire.
Once Susie's eggs hatched, we kept the fire burning a bit more, but I also used a heating pad for the chicks and Susie. That way I didn't have to heat up the whole house (we don't have doors separating many of the common rooms)
But we pretty much are used to the cooler temperatures. When we go to someone's house, we are often too warm.
Our inside temperatures rarely fall below 50, usually more like 58. Which is really not that bad.

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
I thought it would be appropriate to post this article I found, about people who choose to live without heat, on this thread.
Wow! that was a great and bizarre read. Dunno how they do it. Living in a non-central heat culture here, as some people also choose to do on this thread, makes it all the more strange.