Thermostat--your winter LOW

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Well, I just reread alot of this thread. Right now my temps are set at 65F day and night. Only reason is b/c we are making wine and the min temp is 65 for the fermentation. Once the wine is done, I will go lower--probably try 62 during the day and 50 at night. I am finding even at 65 during the day right now, that I am jsut wearing at shirt, as I am busy in the the house most days. For sitting around watching tv or reading at night, I turn on the fireplace. But... we have been having unseasonably warm temps lately. I think honestly my furnace had only been on 4 days this season, while I used the fireplace (gas)about three times. It was alot colder last year at this time.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We keep the thermostat at 64 during the day, and 58 at night. This is a compromise - DH would prefer it a little warmer, I'd be just as happy if it were a tad cooler (this is genetic - 2 of my brothers also run warm, as I do, and my nephew took a pane of glass out of his window as a teenager so that his mother couldn't shut the window :lol:). DH has an electric blanket when it is cool nights; if I need help, which isn't often, I resort to my hot water bottle or hot sand bag. I did light the fire for the first time this season tonight - that was cozy :). Who needs extra heat when one has 5 cats? (Of course, I live in western Oregon - looked at from the perspective of most of the country it doesn't really get cold here at all. Oh ... but damp ... did I mention damp?)

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have had a wonderfully warm fall so far so our heat hasn't really come on.

We live in a VERY drafty, VERY old house that doesn't have insulation in some walls so on some days we keep the heat going full blast all day just to keep the room above freezing. Outside temps here run -20 to -40 most of the winter.

The first winter in this house we didn't have any days that the inside of the house got above 52 degrees F, and it was usually below freezing... the second winter we installed a woodstove and the room where that is was warm... this is our third winter and we have taken down walls and put in some insulation so I'm hoping that makes a big difference... next summer is windows....

If we had a choice we'd keep the house around 65F all the time through the winter, but for now the stove room is really warm, getting gradually colder the farther away from it you get :)

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I try to keep our furnace at 64,but DH said it needed to be at 65 sooo, he won this round. I like it alittle cool than he does.I came home the other night and almost flipped out, my DS "was cold"and had jacked up the heat to 68, did he hear about that! I have raised a spoiled child, who just doesn't get this whole new life style of SS.So it is now my new job to check the thermostate,and be sure Iam rigid on it.

Maggies Pop

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am always the cold one in the family (thanks crappy thyroid!). My DH and DD run hot. I usually always crank up the heater and keep it nice and toasty in the house. HOWEVER, this year I am trying to not do that. I have had to crank up the heat a few times when DH wasn't home to start a fire for me. I think I put it on around 69-70 just enough to take the chill off the house.
We have a ton of wood and are trying to heat the house using only our woodstove. I am excited about the challenge! I always feel guilty turning up the heater, but once I get cold, I get cold to the bone and can not warm up. So far we have managed to do well with the woodstove and my fingers are not even tempted to turn the heater on!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
About 2 weeks ago, I lowered our thermostat from 67 to 65. Just a minute ago, my DS came in and asked me to raise it. His room stays pretty cool. I told him to put on a sweatshirt. :/

I want to see how big a difference it makes on the gas bill.

quercus21

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We heat our house with wood and have the oil as a backup/no wake up. We keep it set at 60degs. Lately in the mornings, it's been in the high 20's outside, so the house is hovering around 60. When the wood is cranking, average temp is about 70.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I threw on my propane fireplace this morning...jacked the house from 67 to 71......actually hot in here. Cold and chilly and icky here this morning so I wanted heat! LOL

BBrrrrr--cold times are coming folks! :(

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
It's finally getting down into the 20's and 30's at night, but it's still pretty mild during the day. I can't believe it, it's December 2 and I've still got gorage plants blooming out there, and calendula. The bees fly still during the day - at least they've got something to eat still.

Massachusetts has passed a law that they have to incorporate biofuel in our heating oil. Starts January 1. I can't wait to see what that's going to cost us :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

steve_of_sandspoultry

Turkey Steve
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I threw on my propane fireplace this morning...jacked the house from 67 to 71......actually hot in here. Cold and chilly and icky here this morning so I wanted heat! LOL

BBrrrrr--cold times are coming folks! :(
It's supposed to be down right chilly this weekend! I'll split some extra wood for the fireplace on Friday. The only bad thing about that is I live with 5 "heat sucking" females! I have the whole living room to myself - well the 4 dogs are laid up on the couch. So... I get a fire started, it's going good, putting off some heat and here comes Ebony - plop right in front of the fire, then Lucky right beside, Grace and Sandy aren't far behind, Sharon comes and makes a nest right in the middle and then I'm on the couch. :)

Steve