Thermostat--your winter LOW

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We have natural gas steam radiators for heat this year. Our new home is about 1800 sq ft. We keep the thermostat set between 55 and 60. So far we haven't had much snow - none on the ground.

loriwy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Pay for the privilage!! I also have the thyroid problem. Also dont see a problem with 3 months intense heat vs 9 months of cold! I hate cold. But DH's job is here. The wind is my enemy here. But we just installed a coal furnace(have yet to put thermostat on). It is fantastic!! I couldn't go to sleep without a heating pad to warm my feet up. It has been put under the cabinet now. l
Love that I only have to pay for the cost of the 2 blowers now. 70's during the day and hopefully 60's at night. Still have to get it regulated.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I do a wierd thing. (Pretend to be shocked.) I turn the heater on to 65 while i am working in my home office, and close the door. When the room gets to 70, which is about 20 or 30 minutes, I turn the thermostat down to the high 50's and light three or four candles on my desk. I have an atomic clock and thermometer on the other side of the desk, and the room stays at 70 for hours on end, without the heater coming back on but every hour or so for a few minutes. When I go to bed, I heat up the sheets with rice bags from the microwave.

I was very upset when my recent gas bill was $58, and that is on the low income plan. Not good.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
loriwy said:
Pay for the privilage!! I also have the thyroid problem. Also dont see a problem with 3 months intense heat vs 9 months of cold! I hate cold. But DH's job is here. The wind is my enemy here. But we just installed a coal furnace(have yet to put thermostat on). It is fantastic!! I couldn't go to sleep without a heating pad to warm my feet up. It has been put under the cabinet now. l
Love that I only have to pay for the cost of the 2 blowers now. 70's during the day and hopefully 60's at night. Still have to get it regulated.
Woof you have a thyroid problem.....then yes you are cold.
A friend of mine has that and is constantly in layers of clothes and still cold. In hot summer she wears a light jacket. Bad problem definitely!

loriwy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
If its below 80 outside I also wear a jacket. I've also lost around 30 pounds in the last few months. Sure missing them now!LOL

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow that is wild cause she says that also with the 80 degrees..LOL

she says it is always a "to the bone chill" and she can never shake it.
She lost about 70 lbs over the last year and yes, she wants the insulation back...lol

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well my low of 67 has been getting higher...LOL

I keep thinking of what WZ says....she is not going to be cold in her house and holds around 70

I think I might do that also...LOL

those few degrees means a diff. in my "brrr" factor....and the propane fireplace is just so warm and cozy that I like to have it running. Had the house up to 71 last night and WOW was it nice.

winter is so cold so fast here now. I liked our Decembers in the high 60s. sure isn't there now. high 40s and that is freezing big time to me..HAHA

maf8009

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Gee.... I must be a wimp too...

We keep the heater off on the (basement) 3rd floor all together... Unless ICE on the ground, the kitchens/living area/ office main floor is at 69!!!!!

and there is no heater upstairs, just blankets. we have weather in the 20's maybe a few times a year. Its usually wet and in the 30's and 40's for winter....

miss_thenorth said:
We put ours down to 60 at night, 66 during the day, then up to 70 from supper time till bed time.

We have electric blankets, and put on sweaters if we are cold during he day, but we are usually busy, so if it's cold, it doesn't bother us.

loriwy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Minus 5 degrees here this morning. Calling for a high of 2 whole degrees. Not so bad in the house right now. But the good ole wind is supposed to start blowing.:( 20 mph gusting to 50 on xmas day. And wouldn't you know it(sigh). Having the devil of a time getting the coal stoker burning. Bought some coal and its not wanting to burn. DH says its to hard. We live right in the middle of coal country and the bagged stuff comes from PA.:/
Global warming my butt. Feels like a mini ice age to me!