Thermostat--your winter LOW

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Right now we're getting our first snowfall that will amount to anything.... up to 8 inches.

The temps outside are 32F and 22F with the wind chill. The temp inside is usually between 52 and 60F; right now 55.

We haven't turned the oil furnance on yet, and can't use the wood stove because the chimney needs relined. :( Right now, electricity is cheaper than oil in our area.

Like FarmerChick, we use a small space heater in the bathroom, except we just turn it on 15 minutes before taking a shower. The northern wall of our laundry/mud room is glass, so we have a small space heater in there too.

We use some rice bed warmers that we put in the microwave to heat; then put them under the blankets before bed time.

I'm baking today, so the kitchen is actually much warmer than normally.

We don't get many visitors, but that's year-round. I don't think anyone wants to drive a couple hours to see us..... ;)

Ellie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
62 during the day, 66 for the evening when we "sit" and 58 at night.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
We keep ours set at 18 C (= 64 F), day and night. It used to be lower before we had kids... once the younger one is older, I'm guessing maybe 3ish judging by his brother's example, we should be able to lower the thermostat but for now it's just not feasible as his hands get too too cold.

I prefer sleeping in a very cold bedroom, and lots and LOTS of blankets, regulating my temperature by poking more or less of my feet and arms outside of the blankets :) Inconveniently I've married someone who refuses to sleep with a blanket at all - I've convinced him that we can't keep the thermostat at 23 just so he can sleep in shorts under a light sheet all winter, so he just wears many layers of clothing to bed :p

Pat

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
those using controlled heating, how low do you go in winter?

In NC....we will be cold in late Dec./Jan/Feb.

BRR...those are our worst times.

Right now I have set the heat on 67. I have been 68 and decided to try 2 more degrees down. I went to 66 but found I am chilly....so up to 67 and I seem very comfortable at night now.

I have a small space heater (elec) in the master bath cause that room is always COLD, and it is on low and I turn it on before bed at night and off first thing in the morning. Tony's 4:30 am shower is cozy and mine not far after is warm also!

Nicole sleeps in footie fuzzy jammies and she is toasty warm with a blanket so I don't worry about her getting cold.

But wondering how low do you set your winter thermostat?
I've got a timer thermostat. The heat comes on at 6 am, to 68, then goes down to 62 at 9 am - back up to 68 at 5 pm and down to 62 at 10 pm. The weekends it stays on all day (6 am-10pm) at 68. I've had it for years, and it works well. I played with temps, too, and I am comfortable at 68. Now the polar bear I live with wants it at 55 - and as I told him, I don't have the 'layer' on me that he has, so that's just too cold! :ep

country freedom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We live in Public Housing and we don't have to pay for heat. Since my DF has that deadly disease of the liver (got it from drinking - he says it's hereditary, since his father, and 1 sister died from it), he's in the near last stages of it. Dr. can't do anymore for him. My DF stays cold - literally cold, we have to keep the temp up at 75 degrees.
If I had my way, we would be around 60 degrees.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
We heat with wood, but we keep the central unit (propane) thermostat set at 55. That way if the fire dies overnight, it won't get too cold in the house.

Edited because my fat fingers keep hitting the wrong keys!

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I heat with wood too. So it is up and down, LOTS.
When we heated with natural gas, we had a programmable thermostat. It hiked the temp up to 68 at 5.45am and back down to 64 at 730am cuz there was no one here during the day. Then it hiked the temp back up to 68 before I got home at 3pm, then back down to 64 at nite.
There is a big difference between wood heat and (i believe) all other heats. Wood is warmer. It just heats you right up. You can be standing over a heat vent and still be cold if the heat is gas. If you stand over a wood heat vent, you wont be for long lol.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
country freedom
I am so sorry to read how sick DF is now. I hope all remains as well as it can be for you!

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
country freedom said:
We live in Public Housing and we don't have to pay for heat. Since my DF has that deadly disease of the liver (got it from drinking - he says it's hereditary, since his father, and 1 sister died from it), he's in the near last stages of it. Dr. can't do anymore for him. My DF stays cold - literally cold, we have to keep the temp up at 75 degrees.
If I had my way, we would be around 60 degrees.
Country Freedom, I'm so sorry to read about your DF - I hope he stays as comfortable as possible for as long as possible.

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We used to be a 65 in the day, 55 at night kind of husband and wife. But since we've added the baby... well, not so much. We're doing 68 all the time now, to make sure she's warm enough but still try to keep bills down a little bit.