Thermostat--your winter LOW

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The thermostat in the bedroom/master bath is programable and is set for 70 degrees from 5AM to 6AM Monday thru Friday so the DH doesn't freeze his nibblets after showering. After that the thermostat resets to 58 degrees. The thermostat for the rest of the house is set between 58 - 62, depending on if I feel cold. We have a wood stove that we try to keep going. The stove hooks to a huge brick chimney that is exposed and runs up thru the center of the house thru both the first and second floors. The chimney, once heated up, will radiate the heat back into the house for at least 12 hours after the stove goes out. My house is also made of log and the log is exposed on the inside. Once the logs warm up, they also will radiate the heat after the stove goes out. I wish I could say that we planned for this much heating efficency but it was a lucky happensatnce. We wanted an open floor plan with the wood stove and exposed brick chimney for ambiance back in 1999 when the house was built and fuel oil was 99 cents a gallon. Who would have thought, back then, that I would be paying from $2.50 - $3.50 for fuel oil less than ten years later.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
How cold does AZ go down at night in the winter? just wondering, don't know temps out your way!
Normally we get down in the high 20's - low 30's for the coldest part out here where we live. Of course it is a little warmer in the city & towns than that. But we are a little more exposed out here in the country. In Jan., 07 we had snow one evening that stuck to the ground & was there the next morning(my brother got more at his place as he is exposed even more) but my temp gauge that was on my front porch(so it was protected more than it should be) read it was down to 18 that night. We let the dog in that night no problems! And Don made sure the ram had plenty of straw in his hut to help keep him warm, our cow was out on the range with a bull at the time and I did not have any chikens yet. Those lows are only for a short period of time too. We have already hit the high 30's this yr at night. But we are warming back up into the low 80's for the weekend. I am hoping Don will want to get the french doors installed this weekend! They are on the south wall & will really help to warm up the house! Now our property up north can be below zero! & they have already been down in the low 20's at night with highs of 50 in the daytime. We will have a woodburning stove up there to heat out house! Lot's of dead junipers all over the place on the drive back so lots of free firewood to gather. Plus we have a big stack up there already.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow you do have radical range. up into the 80s LUCKY YOU! I want that right now..HA HA

18 at night is cold...no doubt about it. We get that also...but more we kinda stay like into the high 20s and 30s.....we we are kinda steady and I like that.

In PA and up north I froze my butt off. I hate those minus wind chill factors! UGH

go warm whenever you can..HA HA

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Biggest problem we have is phnemonia, with the big temp fluctuations around here.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
UGH
now that ain't fun at all
yes, all areas have their problems definitely! :(
but alot have their good sides :)

see that, 2 smiles, I guess it applies to all of us where we choose to live .....HA HA HA

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Problem is I don't choose to live here. My dad was transferred here when I was 9 so no choice there. Then after I started college I got married & had a baby, dropped out of school & went back a few yrs later. Then got divorced & would have had a horrible time with ex giving permission to let me leave the state, so did not even bother asking. Then met & married Don & of course his job is here & he can retire in 11 1/2 yrs at full retirement(51). But if a posistion came open at the prison up near our place he might be able to transfer up there before retirement. I would love that & get out of this heat.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
where would you like to be Pam?

I ended up in NC cause I was "just young enough and unmarried" to follow my parents down to NC from the north when they retired. They have a fab house on a lake nearby!

But, Hmm...if I had the chance---I would be in Nevada or Wyoming or Texas or New Mexico on 1000 acres and ranching. that type of thing.

I met Tony and I am stuck....LOL....but a HAPPY stuck ya know.

He talked about maybe moving to TX when we hit retirement so that is a step in the right direction. I doubt we will ever leave here...but who knows...LOL...I find it funny that I find myself "stuck" in NC....but I guess at some point we are all stuck and I am envious of the people who don't own anything, want to move around, can do it and travel etc...but then again, I am a "roots" type gal..HA HA

grass is always greener--right? HA HA

angie68

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We keep ours at 62. The kids have a ceramic heater that will runs on nickles and dimes, but we only use them when it's below 30. We are the type of active family that can go on less heat. I normally where a jogging outfit with a t-shirt under it during the day and socks because i'm not as warm natured as they are.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
FarmerChick- when you live in a place that rains 60 inches or more in 5 months of the year, the grass is always greener here. :lol:
I'm lucky to live in the place where I would dream of being if I didn't already live here.
But it is a place where people either love it or hate it- it is wet and gloomy for a few months in a row each year, then dry for the rest- some people just can't stand that And there is a serious lack of shopping, cultural events, etc . But everytime I drive into town, I am struck with just how beautiful it really is. And I am thankful to live here. I was actually tricked into coming here by an employer and hated it for a couple of years. Then I traveled away from town........ Now I don't want to even leave the county.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
We heat with wood, so we get a range of temperatures, based upon the temperature outside. Our house is very poorly insulated. Our long-term plan is to build an energy efficient home. We try to only heat our house at night, but some days we have to keep the stove going into the morning hours (or longer). Average unheated temperature during the day right now is probably about 55 F. If I keep busy, I can manage with the house close to 50 F. Any lower than that and I will light the stove.

I have noticed that while years ago we would let the stove heat our house up to 70 F at night, we have gotten very accustomed to only going as high as 65 F.

The nice thing about keeping the house so cold is that when we have mild temperature days, spending time outside can feel warmer than being in the house. :lol: