Thermostat--your winter LOW

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
ScottyG said:
We used to be a 65 in the day, 55 at night kind of husband and wife. But since we've added the baby... well, not so much. We're doing 68 all the time now, to make sure she's warm enough but still try to keep bills down a little bit.
Yup, babies have a way of blowing the budget in more ways than one, eh? But they are such a blessing to have around

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Well we are all thin blooded in So Cal...so my preference is about 73...but I can live with a low of 68.

We use a fairly inefficient fireplace during the cooler months and it really only warms up the living room, but it sure is cozy! Then we all head upstairs to cold bedrooms and rely on blankets, but even then we have such a mild climate that our rooms probably very rarely dip below 65-63.

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
After living in Huntsville and my DH discovering I was turning up the heat pretty much as high as it would go, I'm no longer allowed to mess with the thermostat. We have the air/heat pretty much turned off now, just use the fans for circulation on occasion, and i curl up in a blanket if im cold.
Then again, I'm in alabama and it never gets that cold until like Feburary.

farm_mom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We keep ours at 60-63 during the day and off at night. We've installed a woodburning stove, cannot wait to see how much we can get away without having the heat on at all this winter! :)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Our old house had furnace heat and we kept the thermostat at 60, then 62 when the babies arrived. Yikes! Now that we have wood heat, it's usually around 72! Our guests in our old home used to complain all the time and we thought they were wimps. We just dressed in double or triple layers all winter. Now that we're used to cushy warmth and go somewhere else where the house is cooler, I know what our guests used to be complaining about :)

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
country freedom said:
We live in Public Housing and we don't have to pay for heat. Since my DF has that deadly disease of the liver (got it from drinking - he says it's hereditary, since his father, and 1 sister died from it), he's in the near last stages of it. Dr. can't do anymore for him. My DF stays cold - literally cold, we have to keep the temp up at 75 degrees.
If I had my way, we would be around 60 degrees.
Hope everything is going well with your father. I understand what you are going thru it is a nasty disease to deal with. My mil was terminal also & she wanted her thermostat set at 78 in the winter(burned us out of the house) & then she complained about how high her elec bill was too. So we couldn't win with that situation. But she was always cold.

FC we will be having an experiemnt this yr as this will be our first winter in the new house. But we always have a argument every winter, he wants the heater turned up in the 70's & I tell him to put on appropriate winter clothes(no short sleeves & shorts). I like to keep tht thermosat at about 67/68 for daytime & turn it back down to 62 at night. I sleep better at night in the cool. Just throw another blanket on the bed if need be.
You can only take off so many clothes in the heat but you can always add another layer to yourself or the bed! I do turn up the heat a little bit more at bath time in the evening for the kids. And Danielle sleeps in blanket sleepers too so she can stay warm that way.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I mentioned elsewhere that I have been trying to keep the thermostat OFF for the past few weeks because it is 'room' temperature outside!

Over this past weekend, hubby wasn't feeling great. He had a bug or something and was really cold. So I went down the hall and almost imploded when the thermostat was on 72. SEVENTY TWO! Gah. And it's 70 outside! So... I had to resort to tactics:

thermostat.jpg

(One of my favorite http://icanhascheezburger.com/ pics)

Cassandra

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
And Danielle sleeps in blanket sleepers too so she can stay warm that way.

***Yea HM those sleeper footies are wonderful. Kids are toasty warm. They are so soft and fuzzy.

I looked into buying adult footies and they are out there. Maybe I will google and find those again and buy a pair. Don't know if Tony will like them, but hey right? HA HA

with the new house you will be seeing what your bills will be like in winter.

How cold does AZ go down at night in the winter? just wondering, don't know temps out your way!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
And Danielle sleeps in blanket sleepers too so she can stay warm that way.

***Yea HM those sleeper footies are wonderful. Kids are toasty warm. They are so soft and fuzzy.

I looked into buying adult footies and they are out there. Maybe I will google and find those again and buy a pair. Don't know if Tony will like them, but hey right? HA HA
We looked at these last year, but didn't purchase...... dh hates anything on his feet at night.

Women's Footed PJs
http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/...ear/Pajamas/D/30002/P/1:100:1010:10240:100540

Men's Footed PJs
http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/...rel/Pajamas/D/30002/P/1:100:1010:10180:100190

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks keljonma
you saved me time to google.
cool!
yea Tony would never wear them, but me....hmm...they said available in cozy flannel or sweatshirt fleece. Both sound warm!!