Thermostat--your winter LOW

Want2BFarmer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
During the day the first floor is set to 58 and at 6 pm it goes up to 68 and then at 10pm it goes back down to 58. Then at 630am it goes up to 68 until 8am and then back down to 58. We keep the second floor at 58 and sometimes colder. It is just me and my wife in a 3 bedroom house and we both work. I know someday I will need to turn it up when the kids come.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
We keep the wood stove cherry red so we don't have to worry about the thermostat.

Really, we have base board heat and a wall mounted heater with a blower. We don't have a thermostat but we do have the heaters turned real low, almost off.

If we did have a thermostat it would be about 60 at night and 68-70 during the day.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
As it is getting colder, I thought I would revive this thread. Those of you who posted last winter, are you planning on changing your temps this time? Have you made any changes, added a programable thermostat, added space heaters?

As we went without the AC this summer, DH says we can do without the central heat this winter. We'll be keeping it on 50, which is the lowest it will go. Our water pipes are run alongside the ductwork, and enclosed in the same insulation. This keeps the pipes from freezing. Since we had to replace every pipe in the house before we moved in, we want to keep the suckers whole.

We do have space heaters, and DD usually moves into DS's room for the winter. Her room stays much colder, his gets a lot of solar gain and we can keep it warmer with only one radiator type heater. We're also thinking about getting electric blankets for each bed, to turn on before bed & off when we actually get under the covers.

I had a bad experience as a child with electric blankets, so I'm leery of keeping them on all night. But it doesn't get that cold around here anyways, lows in the teens are C-C-COLD in MS.

Also, we will get a lot of solar gain during the day in the living room & kitchen.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
We rarely turn on the central heat. We did last winter b/c we had temps in the teens for a week or two and the windows were forming ice on the inside, but that is rare.

We usually only start a fire in the evening (if we have to) and burn it for about 3 hours then let it die down. That gives everyone enough time to shower and get snuggly in their beds.

We use down comforters (a couple of dogs and cat) at night and dress warm during the day.

The weather is rather mild all year long, so this works out for us.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I can't remember what I posted last year . . . maybe I should look.

We are just using a woodstove. Seems that 50 degrees is about where I start to want heat (during the day). I like more heat at the end of the day. As long as I am active during the day, I seem to do ok with a hat & sweater on in the house.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I'd like to heat to around 60 at night and 65 in the day. Colder indoors than that makes me just want to stay in the covers too long. Besides the toilet seat gets too cold then. :ep

I barely used AC back in Fla either. Preferred ceiling fans.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We're on a programmable thermostat. 5:30 am the temp goes up to 65 and at 9:30 PM it goes back down to 58.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
70. I am very frugal in many ways, but I will not be cold in my own home. I refuse.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
70. I am very frugal in many ways, but I will not be cold in my own home. I refuse.
I'm with you - although I have to compromise with the polar bear I'm married to, thus the 68 setting.
freezing.gif

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I spent 35+ years sweating my buns off in Houston, TX. Bring on the cold weather!! If you turn on that heater, I'll cut you! :gig