Thermostat--your winter LOW

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
DianeB said:
Turned it down to 67 lastnight. Could have gone lower. Someone had it at 72. Like anyone cares when we are asleep. If I need to stay warm, I will have my dog or one of the cats snuggle with me. (This really helps quite a bit.)
Having 2 snuggly St. Bernards (and one fat cat) is really paying off! :lol:

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
DianeB said:
Turned it down to 67 lastnight. Could have gone lower. Someone had it at 72. Like anyone cares when we are asleep. If I need to stay warm, I will have my dog or one of the cats snuggle with me. (This really helps quite a bit.)
Having 2 snuggly St. Bernards (and one fat cat) is really paying off! :lol:
I know! It is like a furry, portable heater.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Funny how nice my cat gets when HE is cold! Back in TX he never sat in my lap...here I can't get him out of it. No complaints from either of us! :lol:

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
The insulation in my attic was recently rated an R2. Kind of a step above tissue paper.

It got to 40 last night, and it was 58 in the house when I woke up. It's 64 in here now, and 63 outside. So, I have all the curtains open and am letting the house warm up. When the outside temperature is higher than the inside, I will open the windows and the slider.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
are you saving to re-insulate the attic?

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I am very, very low income. Saving is not an option. I did qualify for a low income senior citizen weatherization, and they are the ones who told me what the R rating was. however, my roof has deteriorated so badly that it is down to bare wood and it leaks. Thus, they cannot insulate because leaks will weight down the cellulose (newspaper) insulation and cause the ceiling to collapse. The edges of my roof (ends of the trusses) are actually rotting and falling off. The quote to replace the roof and insulate it is $18,000. That is just about what I make in a year.

I am grateful for every day I have a roof over my head...literally !

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is so hard when you need such an expensive repair.

and yes, thankful your roof is still there.

life can be full of stress can't it...from expensive roof repair looming---to wondering if our jobs will be around anymore---to worrying about just surviving day to day now.

ugh

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Its been no more than 59 degrees here lately. And that is the high. And we havent turned on our heaters yet. But today its real cold in the house. So I am baking some thing and doing a load of laundry to warm things up a bit.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
I am very, very low income. Saving is not an option. I did qualify for a low income senior citizen weatherization, and they are the ones who told me what the R rating was. however, my roof has deteriorated so badly that it is down to bare wood and it leaks. Thus, they cannot insulate because leaks will weight down the cellulose (newspaper) insulation and cause the ceiling to collapse. The edges of my roof (ends of the trusses) are actually rotting and falling off. The quote to replace the roof and insulate it is $18,000. That is just about what I make in a year.

I am grateful for every day I have a roof over my head...literally !
Do you rent? If so you can call the housing authority and start going through the process of getting them to get you landlord to fix your roof. I have a link if you need it.

If you own, there are few strategies. See if there is anyone that is willing to the work for little or no cost. All you would need to do is buy supplies. I know our church has put on many of roofs for the elderly, sick and divorced mothers. Ask around. You church or local organization may help you. Also, see if there is someone willing to do it for less than a licensed contractor. I know this maybe a risk. But if they come with the right recommendations it may workout. Some may even give you a rate cut or payment plan if you are upfront about your circumstances. (They are looking for work now, too, and are open to negotiation.)

At the very least, see if anyone is willing to patch the worst areas on the roof. This will at least give you some comfort this winter.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your concern, Diane. I deeply appreciate it.