Thermostat--your winter LOW

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
Wifezilla said:
70. I am very frugal in many ways, but I will not be cold in my own home. I refuse.
I'm with you - although I have to compromise with the polar bear I'm married to, thus the 68 setting. http://annzoid.com/images/smileys/freezing.gif
I don't remember what I posted last year but I am betting it was something warm.
I am with you two on this one. DH and I run the electric bill up by battling over the thermostat. He turns it down to 68, I come right behind him and turn it up to 73 (cough, cough, or higher), he gets up and turns it down to 68 and 10 min later I am bumping it up.

Later on in the winter I will settle in with the 68 but for right now even though technically its not cold to anyone but me. 41 tonight, I want to be warm like what I am use to with my normal hot muggy summer weather. I NEED TIME TO ADJUST. At this moment I have an electric heater at my feet running wide open. My first electric bill will help me adjust quickly. LOL

Edited cause I can't spell.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It is still warm in CA - was 80 again today and only gets down to 60s at night. I don't know if or when we will turn on the heat. Personally, unless it is below 40 at night, I don't see that need to turn on the heat. Plenty of clothes in the closet to layer on.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It is set at 70 right now, but I will turn it down to 60 when I go to bed. Come Wednesday when the chimney gets cleaned, we will turn it down to 50 and crank up the woodstove. That keeps the rooms we live in, the livingroom and kitchen, quite toasty.

I think I will put plastic on the windows in the downstairs rooms this year. There is quite a wind that blows through them at times. We close the doors to the two upstairs rooms all winter, just leaving the bathroom door open so the pipes don't freeze. There are no heat registers upstairs. We use oil-filled electric radiators on the rare occasion that we need to use one of those rooms.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
We do have new windows now...so even though I wont let hubby turn down the thermostat, it will still cost less to heat :D

eaganchickens

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
70 during the day and 66 at night. I would like colder but no one else approves :rolleyes:

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I have been trying 62, but tonight I am turning it off entirely, just to see if I can take it....Should be 49 outside tonight.

ETA: I just checked the update: 38 tonight. I am still going to try.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ldy, if your house is well insulated, it might not get too cold in the house period. Mother had her windows replaced and with those few days in the 40s we had earlier, her heat never came on, gas bill hasn't gone up and she likes it warm.

I spent 35+ years sweating my buns off in Houston, TX. Bring on the cold weather!! If you turn on that heater, I'll cut you!
:lol: I'm with you there. I spend all summer sweating, moaning over the heat & wearing as little as is decent. Less than that if my kids aren't home & I'm not expecting company :lol:
2dream, you need some footie jammies. Those suckers are warm!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I forgot I wrote that! :lol:

I can see my breath as I type this! I am dressed in my warmest clothes. The only heat we use during the day comes from cooking! Today I'm using my crock pot, so it is really cold in here. :p I am usually running here and there all day long just stopping to check in here. When I am really busy I don't even notice the cold. (I am warming my hands on a hot cup of coffee at the moment.;) )

We do build a fire at night during shower time and bed time. By the time it puts itself out we are in bed with down comforters and footed jammies.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Turned it down to 67 lastnight. Could have gone lower. Someone had it at 72. Like anyone cares when we are asleep. If I need to stay warm, I will have my dog or one of the cats snuggle with me. (This really helps quite a bit.)

Latest posts