Things To Stock Up On: in case the SHTF

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Been a while since I have posted but summer is a hectic time around here. I work outdoors all summer and I drink a lot of powerade on the job. I use the empty bottles to store sugar ( I make wine so I have stocked up about 75 lbs worth) flour and water ( flour and water bottles are stored in an upright freezer). In the event of a power outage the frozen water helps keep the freezer cold and will provide about 10 gallons of potable water. Keeping the flour frozen prevents bettle infestation. Freezer currently holds some of last years deer and 1/2 hog I purchased this summer. I added shelving in a guest room closet to store sugar, canned foods and EVOO, coffee etc. My rule of thumb is that if I need one now I buy two and put one away. I know no matter if TSHTF or not it is not going to be any cheaper next week or next month. Rich

ETA... I package dried beans, rice, oatmeal and powdered milk the same way for long term storage.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I still think I need to buy a couple of cartons of cigarettes. If money becomes worthless, I think cigarettes will be like gold.

Britesea - that's a great idea about water! I'm canning pickles today, so I will be sure to do that if I have space left in the canner. :)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Skip the cigarettes and buy the tinned tobacco and rolling papers. The tins will stay fresher longer.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Britesea - that's a good idea about collecting and storing some good leather. I'm completely out of my little stash of leather so I'll add it to my ever-growing list. I will also add some good neatsfoot (cow's foot) and mink oil (palmitoleic acid).

Also a good stitching awl like this one.

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Don't forget stuff like bandaids, neosporin, alcohol (the non-drinking kind, although that would be useful too!), and OTC as well as prescription meds. If you get your prescriptions through the mail, you can get the refills about 3 weeks early, and build up a little safety reserve there.

S

sunsaver

Oh! That reminds me! Vodka. Plenty of vodka, say five gallons or so. Maybe i should build my own still.:lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have sides of leather rolled up in the upstairs closet, and all the tools for making strapgoods. You can make just about anything easily with a few inexpensive tools, like a strap cutter, a skiving knife, an awl, and thread. You can improvise most of those tools, but you may waste some of the leather in the process. A sturdy straight edge like a heavy metal square and a linoleum knife (or whatever it is called....that handle thingy that holds those trapezoid razor blades) will work, too, and is needed to get that first straight edge if you use a strap cutter.

I used to do all the repairs/modifications and made some stuff when I worked with horses full time. I worked with Arabians and a lot of stuff didn't fit them properly and had to be adjusted way back then. It is a very handy skill. I forgot about it! I have a skill to barter! :p

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
With firepower and ammunition you can get just about anything else you might ever need, and then some. :D

We keep a 55 gallon drum of water on hand at all times.
Lots of lighters and fire starter stuff.
150 gallons of diesel fuel for the tractor and the RTV.
75 gallons of gasoline that we rotate out every 3 months.
The Wife has enough cloth and sewing supplies to outfit an army.
8 kerosene lanterns and 10 gallons of lamp fuel.
We built 2 "bug out bags" in the past 2 months that are VERY well stocked, including a .22 pistol and ammo in each one.

Latest posts