Things To Stock Up On: in case the SHTF

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sunny said:
Make sure you plant your comfrey where you can contain it.. Its just like dandelion and horseradish. It can grow just from a root piece.. I plant mine in containers. Large ones like a kiddie pool..
NOW ya tell me :lol:

I don't know if it's already been posted, but ropes would be a good thing to have & the knowledge of tying different knots. With DH having worked in the boating industry for years and I have in the past done crochet and macrame (sp?), we both know alot about knots. I just don't remember all the names of them.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Wow Mountain Rose Herbs is in my state. Who knows I may have driven close to it before. Im going to have to look at the website a bit more later.
Sunny, Mountain Rose Herbs is in Springfield. I haven't stopped in yet, though I intend to someday, but have passed it several times when I have been up that way. And Glory Bee Honey http://www.glorybee.com/glorybee/Index.html is in Eugene; I get my honey locally, but Glory Bee has beeswax, both "regular" for candles, and extra clean for cosmetics/herbal salves etc. And Territorial Seeds is in Cottage Grove. That hour's drive (for me) to Eugene is quite worthwhile, and not just because our closest Trader Joe is up there :lol:. I know it is quite a bit farther for you, but just in case you find yourself going that way anyway you might want to be aware of what is there.
Thank you for telling me about the glorybee one. I may have to check both places out the next time I go to Springfield to see my sister. I usually go at least once a year.. I may be moving closer to Springfield soon. We really want to get out of Curry County.. Not much here left any more. But they are putting in a new Bi-Mart store.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another thing I thought about for a emergency first aid kit. Is a cream called Dr. Numb. I have an area that my nerves are shot and they feel more pain that usual and in order to get my tattoo finished in that area. I used the Dr. Numb cream there. It does cut down the pain alot. I know Im a wimp huh.. Any way, I had left over cream left. And my DD got a really bad sliver she would not let me even attempt to remove because it hurt to bad. I put some of that cream on her, then waited.. Removed the splinter no problem. I was thinking about getting some more. You never know if your ever going to have to sew up a very painful wound and this stuff would help. For best results you should leave it on for 1-2 hours, best to cover it with seran wrap. You can still feel, but you feel less. I wouldnt get it in the actual wound if you needed it. Just area that needed to be sewn or worked on.. Just thought this may be helpful to some. Cause if SHTF there may not be stuff to knock you out for sergery..

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
You know what I would like to find? A seed collection for sale that's geared towards healing herbs. And maybe a book recomandation on how to use them.

I have Maria Tribens, Healing herbs from Gods Garden. But that's it.

g
MPS has a Medicinal Herb Garden seed collection.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Duct tape is also known as The Force. It has a Light Side and a Dark Side, and it holds the Universe together. :lol:

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
With firepower and ammunition you can get just about anything else you might ever need, and then some. :D

We keep a 55 gallon drum of water on hand at all times.
Lots of lighters and fire starter stuff.
150 gallons of diesel fuel for the tractor and the RTV.
75 gallons of gasoline that we rotate out every 3 months.
The Wife has enough cloth and sewing supplies to outfit an army.
8 kerosene lanterns and 10 gallons of lamp fuel.
We built 2 "bug out bags" in the past 2 months that are VERY well stocked, including a .22 pistol and ammo in each one.
What do you store the gasoline in?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
With firepower and ammunition you can get just about anything else you might ever need, and then some. :D
"You can get a lot farther with a smile and a gun than you can with just a smile." ~ Al Capone (actually, there is no proof he ever said that ;) )