Things To Stock Up On: in case the SHTF

S

sunsaver

If congress (spelled with a little "c" because thats what i think of them) dont get their collective a$$es in gear and pass a compromise by Tuesday, TSWHTF. It's good to see that some of us are already prepared. I think food will be more valuable than anything else.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
But you know Sunsaver. I have a couple friends that are gun hobbyist. Collectors etc.. They keep telling me if I feed them they will protect me. I don't think I would have a choice. :lol:

g

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Paper, pens, pencils. Now is a great time to stock up (back to school sales).

Good shoes/hiking boots. If you can't stay where you're at, they are an absolute necessity.

Blankets, preferably wool.

TP. I will go without a lot of stuff before I go without that! DH calls my well stocked supply my sanity supply.

Decks of cards. Can be used alone or in groups, very versatile and portable.

At least one pair of good leather gloves per person.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Every one thinks to save heirloom seeds of vegis and herbs. But has any one thought about saving some seeds of medical herbs.. AKA: Weeds.. Like dandelions, chicory, rosehips (can you save the seeds of these?), and many others. I was just thinking about this the other day.. You never know if for some reason that type of plant may be wiped out some where. Or where you bug out to, the plants may not be growing. And you can start your own edible/herbal medical garden.. Ive even thought about saving some seeds from wild blackberries, raspberries, salmon berries, thimble berries, ect. ect..

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I actually have. I have a lambs quarter plant I am getting ready to cut and dry. Also there are some purslane in bloom out in the garden.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You know what I would like to find? A seed collection for sale that's geared towards healing herbs. And maybe a book recomandation on how to use them.

I have Maria Tribens, Healing herbs from Gods Garden. But that's it.

g

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Mountain rose herbs has a medicinal herb seed section. I am going to put in an order for macca, comfrey and chickweed.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oooo thank you. My neighbor has been trying to give me some of her Comfrey for a while now, I guess I should just get it planted.

g

Ugg figures they are sold out of the seed collection.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow Mountain Rose Herbs is in my state. Who knows I may have driven close to it before. Im going to have to look at the website a bit more later..

I have been thinking about starting to gather up medical herbal seeds and trying to sell them. But it may take awhile to collect the types and to make sure the seeds are good..

I have comfrey.. I dont know if I have the species that you can plant from seeds, it may be the kind with sterile seeds.

ETA: Make sure you plant your comfrey where you can contain it.. Its just like dandelion and horseradish. It can grow just from a root piece.. I plant mine in containers. Large ones like a kiddie pool..

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow Mountain Rose Herbs is in my state. Who knows I may have driven close to it before. Im going to have to look at the website a bit more later.
Sunny, Mountain Rose Herbs is in Springfield. I haven't stopped in yet, though I intend to someday, but have passed it several times when I have been up that way. And Glory Bee Honey http://www.glorybee.com/glorybee/Index.html is in Eugene; I get my honey locally, but Glory Bee has beeswax, both "regular" for candles, and extra clean for cosmetics/herbal salves etc. And Territorial Seeds is in Cottage Grove. That hour's drive (for me) to Eugene is quite worthwhile, and not just because our closest Trader Joe is up there :lol:. I know it is quite a bit farther for you, but just in case you find yourself going that way anyway you might want to be aware of what is there.