THIS is what I FEAR!!!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I saw in the news...this article. THIS is exactly what I fear will happen more and more....scarey!

Hunger Hits Detroit's Middle Class
Food has long been an issue in this city without a major supermarket. Now demand for assistance is rising, affecting a whole new set of people.
DETROIT (CNNMoney.com) -- On a side street in an old industrial neighborhood, a delivery man stacks a dolly of goods outside a store. Ten feet away stands another man clad in military fatigues, combat boots and what appears to be a flak jacket. He looks straight out of Baghdad. But this isn't Iraq. It's southeast Detroit, and he's there to guard the groceries.
In this recession-racked town, the lack of food is a serious problem. It's a theme that comes up again and again in conversations in Detroit. There isn't a single major chain supermarket in the city, forcing residents to buy food from corner stores. Often less healthy and more expensive food. http://money.cnn.com/2009/08/06/news/economy/detroit_food/index.htm?postversion=2009080610
I hope this link works. This is why WE are SS as possible, and working harder to become as close to 100% as we can.
:hide

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I pointed that article out to my husband yesterday. He said perhaps they would have a chain store there if they weren't always setting fire to their city. . .

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Even though I DO have a big store 2 minutes from me, can someone explain why the shelves are half empty??? Seriously! This is a Super Walmart. I went yesterday and couldn't believe how much stuff they were out of.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I think the shipments are not coming as quickly as they once were. The store I shop at has had some empty spots and long delays in getting some items. :hu

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Detroit crime rates are so astronomical....the big store chains HAD to pull out. They are in a sence, doing this to themselves, but cry out to our government for help. It will not get any better..I fear...it will get worse. Just like some stores haveing empty shelves. People are " stocking up" for fear of " whats to come" I myself, and NOT stocking from stores...other than handy clothes item from Goodwill.....jeans, flannels, boots, gloves....things we will always need. Pots and pans, for cooking over fires, or on woodstoves...As for food items...well..we just grow what we can...and try to only eat what we grow. ( other than coffee, tea, sugar, spices(salt mainly) and comfort foods, like cocoa.) Gotta have the chocolate! LOL
Im just thinking...this is gonna get worse folks...before it gets better. I dont know about everyone else....but this IS my fear.

eggs4sale

Lush who can't use a cheese grater
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Even though I DO have a big store 2 minutes from me, can someone explain why the shelves are half empty??? Seriously! This is a Super Walmart. I went yesterday and couldn't believe how much stuff they were out of.
They could be doing this in preparation for rearranging the store. Our Super WalMart AND Fry's both just did this, but I didn't know that's what they were doing, so I thought everyone was stocking up on potato chips and wondered what I was missing.

Now I can never find anything in those stupid places.

eggs4sale

Lush who can't use a cheese grater
Reaction score
justusnak said:
Detroit crime rates are so astronomical....the big store chains HAD to pull out. They are in a sence, doing this to themselves, but cry out to our government for help. It will not get any better..I fear...it will get worse. Just like some stores haveing empty shelves. People are " stocking up" for fear of " whats to come" I myself, and NOT stocking from stores...other than handy clothes item from Goodwill.....jeans, flannels, boots, gloves....things we will always need. Pots and pans, for cooking over fires, or on woodstoves...As for food items...well..we just grow what we can...and try to only eat what we grow. ( other than coffee, tea, sugar, spices(salt mainly) and comfort foods, like cocoa.) Gotta have the chocolate! LOL
Im just thinking...this is gonna get worse folks...before it gets better. I dont know about everyone else....but this IS my fear.
Can someone please explain to me, since I don't live remotely near Michigan, why the middle-class is even still in Detroit. Does anyone think it's going to get better there? Are they hoping against all hope, or is there something else?

Justusnak, things will probably get worse all over, but I sure hope we don't all become Detroit. It's surprising how much people rely on the grocery store on a daily basis. No food stores at all. Doesn't every kitchen come with cupboards? What do they put in those? Just cups?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
People are " stocking up" for fear of " whats to come" I myself, and NOT stocking from stores...other than handy clothes item from Goodwill.....jeans, flannels, boots, gloves....things we will always need. Pots and pans, for cooking over fires, or on woodstoves...
...and jars with wire bound lids for lacto-fermenting (got 4 yesterday).

They could be doing this in preparation for rearranging the store.
I don't think so. They build an entire addition on the the store a few years back and had WAY more stuff during construction. The weird shortages have been happening periodically for several months. This last trip was just the worst of a continuing trend.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Stores are bulging with stuff in my neck of the woods. No sign of lack at all.