THIS is what I FEAR!!!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Things are improving in our area. I see businesses jam packed with few available parking spaces, restaurant tables full, long checkout lines. At any rate people are becoming comfortable spending, from the looks of it.
I can't speak for Detroit, but they do seem to have a longer climb because they have been in poor shape for many years, not just since the recession began.
The stimulus appears to be working. I have seen help wanted signs posted, although I attribute the majority of those to kids returning to college.
We knew this wasn't going to be turned around overnight.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I think this is the eye of the storm. I hope I am wrong but I see the economy falling off a cliff around the holidays.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I was wrong.....there is something more I fear....I got a call from huby today...he is at work....his LAST DAY! He has been layed off. :hit

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
According to my television, Canada is out of a recession. I don't think our area ever was in much of a recession, people still spent money, people are still going to the cottage, and there is a huge turnout for the Havelock Jamboree this year. And that doesn't even take into consideration the amount of people showing their horses this year! HOLY MOLEY TRAILERAMA.

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Up-the-Creek said:
Denise I know what you are saying about worrying about who or what is going to try to invade you if TSHTF. I have a few neighbors who like to comment on if something does happen, they are coming to my house.
Here's what I tell them, and I HAVE said this to a couple people.

I'm taking reservations for SHTF Day. You can "buy in" now for $10,000 or $1,000 face value in pre "65" silver coins. You may renew your reservation every year for $5,000 or $50 in silver. In the event there is no SHTF Day, there are no refunds.

I got a blank stare and a couple of half-hearted chuckles but they got the point. :D

eggs4sale

Lush who can't use a cheese grater
Reaction score
justusnak said:
Well, I was wrong.....there is something more I fear....I got a call from huby today...he is at work....his LAST DAY! He has been layed off. :hit
Oh, wow. I'm so sorry this has happened to you.
This is one of my great fears, as my husband is a contractor.

eggs4sale

Lush who can't use a cheese grater
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
I just worry what will happen if things really get bad and everyone in the neighborhood knows we grow and preserve our own food. We might just have to get some dobermans and pitbulls and bullets for the guns.
My DH has had comments from co-workers that is the SHTF, they'll come out to our place. He politely told them they would be shot, but I'm not quoting as they cuss a lot out there.

I've wondered what would happen if it got REALLY bad. I imagine my little herd o'cows would be stolen right from under my nose. Chickens would vanish one by one. Boy, I sure hope it doesn't get so bad. :(

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
justusnak said:
Sorry

sorry

sorry

He will find another job.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
eggs4sale said:
FarmerDenise said:
I just worry what will happen if things really get bad and everyone in the neighborhood knows we grow and preserve our own food. We might just have to get some dobermans and pitbulls and bullets for the guns.
My DH has had comments from co-workers that is the SHTF, they'll come out to our place. He politely told them they would be shot, but I'm not quoting as they cuss a lot out there.

I've wondered what would happen if it got REALLY bad. I imagine my little herd o'cows would be stolen right from under my nose. Chickens would vanish one by one. Boy, I sure hope it doesn't get so bad. :(
I remember my dad talking about shooting neighbors if they ever tried to get into our fallout shelter if that time ever came. I was 9 years old.
It was a bummer. Be sure not to talk like this around the kids. It may never happen and they don't need these kind of thoughts.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
justusnak said:
:hugs I'm sorry. Something tells me you will be ok. But it still is not something fun to go through. I hope this gives your husband a change to find a better job.