THIS is what I FEAR!!!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I have noticed shortages in stores also. I think they are just not placing the order until tehy are actually out of the item and then it takes a long time to get it. Everyone is watching the bottom line.

I feel the better prepared we are do fend for ourselves the better. I just worry what will happen if things really get bad and everyone in the neighborhood knows we grow and preserve our own food. We might just have to get some dobermans and pitbulls and bullets for the guns.
Thank goodness our neighbors are in the recycling business, we barter all the time. So we could probably get some good fortification going using their stuff.

Our friend came up for a surprise visit this weekend and he helped himself to and used our stuff like there was no tomorrow. I had bought a bag of pistachios for our snack and a good 1/2lb went missing. He ate 1/2 the ice cream. ate all the salami and SO's bread and used sheets and sheet of paper towels. He also poured the bacon grease down the drain, when he washed the frying pan. :barnie
It's no big deal to him. He thinks we can just go to the store and buy more. I had made a nice zucchini egg bake for everyone for lunch, but he didn't want that. He had to have the stuff that was harder for us to replace, like the storebought salami and bread. That was a treat for SO and stepson, because we don't usually buy that kind of stuff.
I know he'll be the first person up here with his family, if TSHTF. Expecting free handouts.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I haven't noticed nothing lacking in our grocery stores in our area. Denise I know what you are saying about worrying about who or what is going to try to invade you if TSHTF. I have a few neighbors who likes to comment on if something does happen, they are coming to my house. I don't think so,..what I do is for my family,..nobody else. I see a lot of people in trouble if something would happen, and it looks like it is highly possible and maybe soon.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Our biggest worry is access to water. We don't get rain in the summer. We have a well. We would have to figure out a way to get the water up. I had considered solar power, but my research told me that that wouldn't work too well. Now I,m thinking bicycle power. One of my How To books tells how to make a bicycle into a saw cuttier (like a table saw), I figure the same principle could be applied to the water pump.
We have been looking into collecting rainwater in the winter. We have a source for the barrels at a reasonable price and if we get the chance we'll be making ourselves some rainbarrels this year.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thats a good idea Denise,...water is the most important componet. We are very fortunate to have two creeks on or near our property, plus we have two fresh water springs that has never been dry in my lifetime. We have two ponds also and live only three miles from a river. Our water for our house is by well and pump,..it is less than 50 feet deep. IF we had to we could hook a hand pump to our well. We are very fortunate I believe to be where we are. Water is plentifull.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been noticing some shortages of stuff around here.

At the wal-mart in the town 30 minutes away. They havent had the cheap toilet paper for 2 and a half weeks.

And the local Fred Meyers. They have stopped stalking some of my favorite foods. Or flavors of them that is..

I notice the shelves are staying empty longer.. And they are getting less of some stuff.

I just dont get it. Why have one flavor and not the other that sold more.

I imagine it will get worse as time goes on..

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denise....you could look into a windmill pump, for that well. We just had our local IGA, closed down. This is a small farming community...so I dont fear too much of invasion...at least for a while. I guess my biggest fear...is being able to save seeds form year to year, and replenishing my garden foods. This is something I have never really tried...but will be doing this year. I bought all heritage plants...however...with the mold issues we have had, because of all the rains...im not sure just how well my seeds will be.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
When i first started on my journey to preparedness, I found this: http://www.thepowerhour.com/news/items_disappearfirst.htm It has been very helpful, even though I can't really afford many of the things. I also read that in an emergency, toilet paper is like gold ! I have been buying packages of it at the dollar store, removing the tubes, flattening it, and am able to store 28 rolls in a 12x12x8 box. Do the same with paper towels, and 9 rolls fit well.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
It seems to me that there are waaaaay too many things normally stocked by grocery stores, and having less choice available, and less prepared foods, might to a degree be a long-overdue corrective ;) Obviously if you can't get staples, that's a real problem -- but any food that comes in multiple flavors, people probably do not technically *need* anyhow.

The vast majority of the country has forgotten how to live a normal life, if you ask me.

Pat

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
When i first started on my journey to preparedness, I found this: http://www.thepowerhour.com/news/items_disappearfirst.htm It has been very helpful, even though I can't really afford many of the things. I also read that in an emergency, toilet paper is like gold ! I have been buying packages of it at the dollar store, removing the tubes, flattening it, and am able to store 28 rolls in a 12x12x8 box. Do the same with paper towels, and 9 rolls fit well.
#5 on the list...oil and oil lamps. My Walmart no longer carries those!! Nothing...no oil, no lamps! I got three of them right after Christmas, the next time I went they did not have anything at all! I need to check the other two Walmarts close to me and stock up on more oil.

Matches I have got! I grab a box or two everytime I do my grocery shopping!

Reaction score
eggs4sale said:
justusnak said:
Detroit crime rates are so astronomical....the big store chains HAD to pull out. They are in a sence, doing this to themselves, but cry out to our government for help. It will not get any better..I fear...it will get worse. Just like some stores haveing empty shelves. People are " stocking up" for fear of " whats to come" I myself, and NOT stocking from stores...other than handy clothes item from Goodwill.....jeans, flannels, boots, gloves....things we will always need. Pots and pans, for cooking over fires, or on woodstoves...As for food items...well..we just grow what we can...and try to only eat what we grow. ( other than coffee, tea, sugar, spices(salt mainly) and comfort foods, like cocoa.) Gotta have the chocolate! LOL
Im just thinking...this is gonna get worse folks...before it gets better. I dont know about everyone else....but this IS my fear.
Can someone please explain to me, since I don't live remotely near Michigan, why the middle-class is even still in Detroit. Does anyone think it's going to get better there? Are they hoping against all hope, or is there something else?

Justusnak, things will probably get worse all over, but I sure hope we don't all become Detroit. It's surprising how much people rely on the grocery store on a daily basis. No food stores at all. Doesn't every kitchen come with cupboards? What do they put in those? Just cups?
I'm sure Detroit will come back. Things are getting better for the country right now. Last month we only lost 250k jobs as compared to the spring where we were losing 500-700k per month. It will be at least a year before you start seeing jobs growth again. This recession started in 2007, so it has to end before too long. The jobs always follow the financial figures. The auto industry is getting a jump start with the cash for clunkers and the restructuring of Chrysler and GM will cause them to come back around. I know there is an amazing amount of criticism of the stimulus plan, but the fact is that inch by inch it is working. If I lived in Detroit I would be making some investments in real estate while it's below dirt cheap.