this place is worthless for my needs

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Finnie congratulations on your first turkey! It’s going to make one fine Christmas dinner!
He turned out pretty good. A little bit undercooked in some parts, but I’ll just put those parts in the soup when I make it and cook them a little more. Most of the meat is cooked just right though.
E917A683-C1A1-46EF-81E8-AC2ECC9AD3A6.jpeg

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Finnie you are amazing! Now that’s what I call a Christmas dinner!
Aw shucks, thanks!

It’s too bad I was all by myself. We alternate Christmases between here and our relatives in Colorado. This year it was Colorado, but I couldn’t find a chicken sitter who could also manage the house dogs. So two days before the trip I announced that I would stay home by myself. So husband and youngest son who live here, and middle daughter and 2 grandchildren who live an hour west all went off to Colorado.

Youngest daughter who lives an hour north (and wasn’t planning to go anyway) was going to come for dinner yesterday, but at the last minute her car wouldn’t start, so she stayed home. Probably dead battery from the freezing weather.

So I ate my turkey dinner all by myself. 🤷🏼‍♀️

E04D5AE1-70E4-48FD-8DFC-A5287F87DC1B.jpeg

I didn’t work too hard on it, other than the turkey. The yams and the stuffing were leftovers I froze from Thanksgiving.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
It's a bit late for this year, but every year shortly before Thanksgiving lots of stores have very inexpensive turkeys. I've been buying lots of them for many years, to freeze and eat throughout the year, also use them to feed dogs. They can be thawed enough to cut into pieces, separate white from dark meat and then re-frozen in smaller packages however you like.

In recent years I've been able to get them for around 20 cents/lb but of course recently they've gone up like everything else. The best deal I found this year was Meijer (these stores only exist east of the Mississippi, mostly in northern/central U.S. states in this region) for 31 cents/lb.
Wow, you got a good price! I don't think I saw them for under $1/pound, but I wasn't looking for it either. A sales rep has been giving everyone at DH's work a free turkey the last couple of years. We ate ours from 2021 this year. :gig

Any meat for $0.20/lb is a reason to stock up! well done!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i like turkey much better than chicken (and prefer the dark meat over the light meat) and would rather have a small turkey. the problem ends up being that we generally don't cook either of them so it is always a holiday meal at my brother's place. we don't end up with the carcass as they just throw it away (shudder to me but it is their house not mine). we come home with some meat and extras and that is good for several days of leftovers. nobody makes tetrazzini any more (my favorite leftover dish). some day i'll have to do it myself. :)

i also used to make turkey soup from any carcasses that i could get ahold of but none of that here happens. Mom just doesn't want to deal with it all. ok with me, but i'd be boiling a soup if it were up to me. yum yum yum.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh I understand, and also will be raising my own turkeys for food and skipping grocery stores almost entirely eventually! :)
I moved recently, so have to start over on the garden thing, and raising my own meat, but I still have plenty in the freezer, and jars that I canned. So how is it I still spend $$ at the grocery store? :he

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tractor supply for three 50 pound bags of dog food, that lasts a month and a half.

Walmart for various items that I always seem to need.

Grocery store for a package of T-bone steaks on sale, sweet potatoes, frozen OJ, store bought pie crusts became I really really wanted pumpkin pie and didn’t want to take the time to make my own crusts-and made a total failure-forgot to add the sugar. Oops.

Feed store once a month

Going to therapy twice a week puts me in town. That gets me in trouble. LOL