this place is worthless for my needs

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@R2elk what kind are those lovely light grey ones? Very pretty. Do you have issues with their flying off? How about wild coming in? We have a lot of wild ones here!! Like 30 or so together....

I see $12-15 per day olds all the time and sell fast. Makes it worth a bator full. 😁

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm curious how you would keep them from going wild or running off. we have a lot of wild turkeys around here also. huge flocks of them at times (they don't come into the yard though which is good because they'd probably eat the gardens as much as the deer do).
I have no problem keeping my turkeys home. There is an occasional one that will overshoot the fence on the south of the hill. They usually start running the fence trying to get back in. I have my turkeys and guineas trained to be herded which makes it easy to herd them back in if they happen to get out.

I had a hen that has been making her nest in the garden for the past three years. This year was the first that she bothered anything. She was working the tomatoes over pretty good this year.

I pulled her off of her last nest this fall and sold her when a fellow who had lost all his hens was wanting one.

The only other problem with turkeys getting in my fenced garden was an occasional wild turkey hen that would go down a row of onion plants and either clip off the tops or pull the onions. She never ate them but made it difficult to get the onions started good.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No supplemental lighting, I have them on the east side of the barn. I was wondering about egg drop soup with turkey eggs. Might be really good, since turkey eggs seem more favorable to me. Will have to try turkey egg fried rice, sounds delicious.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
Egg drop soup using turkey eggs is good.

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love that we have kept this thread going. I too laugh whenever I see the title. I wonder if the administrators could change the title back to something relevant about buying and cooking turkey. But that would kind of ruin the fun of our continuing to enjoy what the “sour grapes” person tried to disparage.

But then again, maybe we should forgive and forget and move on.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hubby's work gives everyone a free turkey every year. You can choose to keep it or have it donated to local shelter
same at our house, we usually eat the one we get around April when we are running low on what we have hunted. we aren't super huge fans of turkey, usually one of the last things to be eaten in our house

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The cheapest price we found was $.58/lb, but you had to buy $50 worth of other stuff, which turned out to be pretty easy because I wanted to donate a bunch of stuff to the church pantry. We are enjoying the most delicious soup from the leftovers now...