Ticks!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I spray my boots/sneakers, pant cuffs, and foot wear with high % deet spray, then, I tuck my pant cuffs into my socks. It's a good idea to wear light colored socks with a tight weave. I always wear a hat with broad brim. Unless the weather is horridly warm, I wear long sleeves when working in the garden/yard. I keep an old LS shirt handy, and spray that also. Gloves are a must. Those little buggers will latch onto my hand, and immediately start running up my arm. Contrary to popular opinion, they move FAST. I do a total body inspection every single day in the summer. Also, know this: Any time the temp is above freezing, ticks can be on the prowl for a victim, even when there is snow cover. We had a lot of dog/wood ticks in the yard last summer.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Is the Avon product: Skin so Soft? That does a great job repelling black flies. It's meant as a bath oil, but is useful as an insect repellent. I have several bottles of it that are VERY old. But, since developing asthma, I think the smell would knock me out.

NHMounttainman

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We can order Avon products here directly from the dealer. Of you can remember what it's called thats gonna be extremely great.

Have you tried the products you mentioned - personally recommend them? NH has the highest rate of Lyme disease infections. I use Flea and tick stuff on the dogs, and will still occasionally find a dead tick on them (it doesn't really repel, it gets absorbed by the dog, and once the tick draws blood it dies. I use Bravecto on the cat, who never goes out. I almost always wear gators over my long pants, and a long sleeve shirt, and then does with deep woods off (40% DEET). I hate using chemicals, but haven't seen of heard of anything that truly works other then DEET.

MIce and voles are now the biggest carriers of deer ticks. Someone makes a product that you leave in tight spaces and attracts the rodents. They eat the treat inside, and get a does of permethrin, which kills the ticks they come in contact with... I haven't tried it yet but I am tired of piking ticks off of me after any day spent outside.

Any advice would be helpful!

NHMounttainman

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I've only seen one tick on our dog in the last 18 years, and this is with deer all over the place. The only reason I can come up with is that we have a very large colony of quail that share the scratch with the chickens. They eat ticks too, and they aren't as obnoxious as guinea fowl.

I was thinking about guineas to kill ticks, but so far, its a no go with the Mrs because of how noisy they are - even though we have no neighbors.

Quail - will they get into a garden and destroy veggies the way chickens will??

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Unless you keep your garden tightly covered and fenced, I doubt that you could keep quail there. I don't know how destructive they are. Don't have any personal experience. Chickens and turkeys, most likely ducks will also eat ticks. The greatest issue for me: toO many predators to allow me to free range my chickens. Last summer, I was killing about 3 ticks/day during the early part of tick season. When I free ranged my chickens, there were no tick issues. Do a google search for toilet paper tubes/cotton balls/permethrin for a DIY approach for interrupting the tick/mouse/deer cycle.

Last edited:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
These are wild quail. We have a deer fence, but it would not keep quail out. So far, they have left the garden alone; they are more interested in the scratch. I think they are too small to really be interested in my towering kale plants and raised beds, lol, and there is so much edible stuff for them in my yard and the surrounding areas.

NHMounttainman

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
These are wild quail. We have a deer fence, but it would not keep quail out. So far, they have left the garden alone; they are more interested in the scratch. I think they are too small to really be interested in my towering kale plants and raised beds, lol, and there is so much edible stuff for them in my yard and the surrounding areas.
Thank you - I think I'm still going to work on convincing the Ms on the guineas.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know like 5 people that had Lyme disease last year (got antibiotics in time so they're ok). We never had ticks in NH when I was a kid, it's ridiculous how bad they are now.