Today was opening day! one graphic pic

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
roosmom said:
:gig
NO QUESTION IS EVER STUPID....... remember that.
You make me laugh Tankshill, no it is not big enough to be a cow LOL.
I think we hang it, yes a little so it will bleed, but I believe most of it is because it (up here anyways) gets it out of the dirt, makes it easier to cut up. We normally let it hang for two - four days outside.

It is actually pretty small. I think it was about 110 pds. My brother once shot a buck that dressed out at 256 pds.
Well I miss lil smarty pants asked DH and he said the reason for hanging it is so it bleeds out and to let it chill down before cutting it up for din din :p

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Congrats!!!!! I just got my deer tag the other day, but I will go out when our gun season starts. While my dh is a bow hunter--I am not strong enough for that--so I use a gun.

hey----looks like you got the same jeep as us--'95 Cherokee?? Same colour interior as ours too.
That is why I gave up Bow season...I dont have the strength anymore either and then this year I cant seem to put any weight pressure on my left elbow.. To many manly things in my life, lol.

It is a '96. I love it, we bought it used.....took three yrs to pay it off and now it is going to nickle and dime us :(

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There is not a face with a tongue big enough for this, jus keep that in mind lil girl..........:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
:gig I ain't skeered!!

Are you going to cold pack that deer like Jules did? We can have a contest...see who does it bettter :lol:

ETA: I am just joshin' both of ya! I love ya both! LOL Gotta have broad shoulders ya know :gig

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
NNNNOOOOOO, NNNOOOOOOOO COLD PACKING FOR MY MEATIES.... besides I promised my mommie, OMG lol

but I am gonna raw packem.

no fair contest, this is my first time, LOL

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I absolutely loved your hunting story!
Congrats!
Eatin' good in the neighborhood! :)

A heart shot on the move! Now that is shootin' !!!!!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:woot :woot :woot :woot :woot

Yay for Roosmom!!!!!! Now that's self-sufficient, ladies and gentlemen!!!! One small step for self-sufficiency, one giant step for Roosmom!

I loved the end of the story...that sounds like something I would do! :D

Never heard of gutting them while hanging....might be a little more difficult, but I like the idea of the guts rolling out on their own, that's for sure!!! :p

Very nice looking deer, clean kill (very important, IMO), and showing the guys how its done....well, that's just priceless! :frow

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
well you know....with all the excitement I completely forgot the ways of skinning and gutting, not that I have ever did it....I should have, I got enough, but you know ;)....when you arent exactly legal (sshhhhh) it needs to be done in a hurry, thus they didnt want me to do it. This would have been my first time taking my time.
UMMMM yeah, gutting while hanging.....NOT A GOOD THING lol. I mean I did it, but I can see the bonuses of doing it with the deer on its back.
I told my hubby I am going to have to go back to *ehhem* the hurried way cuz now I have gotten a buck, the adrenaline rush will be gone.
lol

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't know, ticks...this makes a little sense here. Barring the fact that dragging and hanging a deer full of guts is a little strenuous, the guts and blood rolling out, without having to put hands in and claw, sound awfully darn attractive! :D I wouldn't want to try it with a gut shot deer though....don't like gut or gall on my hams! :p