Today was opening day! one graphic pic

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I don't know, ticks...this makes a little sense here. Barring the fact that dragging and hanging a deer full of guts is a little strenuous, the guts and blood rolling out, without having to put hands in and claw, sound awfully darn attractive! :D I wouldn't want to try it with a gut shot deer though....don't like gut or gall on my hams! :p
Gutting is part of the hunt on the buck you still need to cut "stuff" off get the liver the heart, while your at it you might as well get the guts :p

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Congrats! I got one yesterday! A four pointer too! We always dress them in the field and hang by the back legs....we cut slits in the hide on the legs in between the leg bones and put a metal rod through it then hoist it up with a rope. Way easier that way if you ask me. I have only field dressed one of the deer that I killed and that was my first. All the rest my wonderful hubby did the honors for me! Love that man!

congrats again!

Lori

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
Congrats! I got one yesterday! A four pointer too! We always dress them in the field and hang by the back legs....we cut slits in the hide on the legs in between the leg bones and put a metal rod through it then hoist it up with a rope. Way easier that way if you ask me. I have only field dressed one of the deer that I killed and that was my first. All the rest my wonderful hubby did the honors for me! Love that man!

congrats again!

Lori
I have never seen why people hang them, unless they clean them their self, It seems like a lot of trouble just to bring them to the butcher the next day.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
ticks, we butcher and clean our own. The only two times we had a deer processed, we just gutted them and took them on in without hanging them.

Rather, DH gutted them, I watched. Give credit where it's due, ya know?

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
ticks, we butcher and clean our own. The only two times we had a deer processed, we just gutted them and took them on in without hanging them.

Rather, DH gutted them, I watched. Give credit where it's due, ya know?
I hear ya... but my friend shot a nice doe once, hung it up, must of had a heck of a time, then they took it to the butchers the next day.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you....
Yeah the forgetting to gut is something I will probably not live down

Ticks, we never pay someone to cut up our deer. We process them ourselves. We hang ours by the neck. My dad said it helps them bleed out. We also hang them up so we can get the hide off while it is warm easier.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We hang by the neck to rip off that hide with the "golf ball method" but, since rednecks wouldn't have a golf ball, we use a hammer! :lol:

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:lol:

I know you are NOT referring to me........But then again, I would rather be a red neck than a yooper..:lol:

But seriously......what is the golf ball method? And no more laughing at me darn it :gig

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
yea I want to know what the golf ball method is, too?