Toddler getting a little too up-close and personal with chickens...

Blue Skys

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was always barefoot, and honestly still am as much as possible, I got pin worms one time... Lice once too, no big deal we treated both parasites as a family and I think it was from school, not the animals... let her continue to enjoy herself, and worry about the other stuff if it happens, it won't kill anyone if she picks up anything. :D

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I absolutely love these answers. Do you all realize how many children are out there who are not allowed to be kids? These mothers today keep their children in a sterile bubble - and in my opinion, that's why they stay sick so much. Let that child play with her chickens - she'll thank you for it later.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
kcsunshine said:
I absolutely love these answers. Do you all realize how many children are out there who are not allowed to be kids? These mothers today keep their children in a sterile bubble - and in my opinion, that's why they stay sick so much. Let that child play with her chickens - she'll thank you for it later.
I agree completely! When I think back to my childhood (a little bit after the dinosaurs), how we ran around barefoot all day, never washed our hands, had dogs & cats in the house...& were almost never sick, I think it really built up our immune systems. Nowadays, parents seem to be so anal about cleanliness, & look at all the asthma, etc. JMHO. :D

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Just keep in mind that back when most of us lived on farms or spent time on farms docs used to advise a once a year deworming. Now that life has gotten so 'hygenic' they don't see a need for it anymore...but it is still very necessary for many of us. I would advise finding a once a year dewromer for your daughter...worms can cause alot of issues...like fibromyalgia and such.

But on the other hand, yes, let her be a kid! It is very healthy in many other ways...kids who are allowed to get dirty are much healthier for it.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:gig Goat berry cobbler! :lol:

I MAKE my kids go outside & get dirty. We check out the compost pile with our toes. Now, I sanitize my milking equipment, and my surfaces for cooking/butchering, but I don't feel the need to sanitize my kids. It'd probably be impossible anyways :p

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
:gig Goat berry cobbler! :lol:

I MAKE my kids go outside & get dirty. We check out the compost pile with our toes. Now, I sanitize my milking equipment, and my surfaces for cooking/butchering, but I don't feel the need to sanitize my kids. It'd probably be impossible anyways :p
lol. My son and a neighbor kid (3 and 5 years old) were playing with Tonka trucks in the (aged) rabbit poop compost pile.

:gig

My SIL was an immunologist (not turned pathologist) and she firmly believes that kids are kept too clean. They're also a little over-the-top on hand-washing, but maybe I can take some cues from that?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i send my SIL into fits when i tell her that i'm gonna let her kids play outside IN THE DIRT

makes her head spin around.

i oughta call her.... hum.....

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Jinkies, my 3 year old practically grew up in the coop. I never even thought about it. I think it's great for the immune system. :D She's dirty from head to toe every night. I call her my hillbilly princess.

I'm going to have to ask MIL if she ever wormed the kids. They had a dairy farm. She'll probably look at me like I have 2 heads :p

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I suspect worms and various parasites in humans are a LOT more common than most people realize. Even in the current generally-sanitized US society.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Shiloh Acres said:
I suspect worms and various parasites in humans are a LOT more common than most people realize. Even in the current generally-sanitized US society.
I am definitely with you on that one! It is in fact where many of our auto immune diseases come from.