Toilet paper or ... ?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'd like your opinions please. I ran across this yesterday: http://www.preparednesspro.com/blog/the-necessity-of-toilet-paper/ and would be interested in your responses.
Personally, I feel she is way overreacting. She is, in my opinion, equating the home bathroom with a huge waste treatment plant, and leaving out any possibility of common sense and hygiene awareness on the part of cloth users.
I started using cloth wipes about 6 months ago, when I got my treadle sewing machine. It seemed like a good way to learn about the sewing machine (simple straight seams) and use up some flannel in my fabric stash. My "girl parts" are quite happy with the result - softer than Charmin :lol:! I do have lots of TP ready and waiting for *solids*, and guests, but in our 2 person household, with me being the only female, the use of paper has dropped significantly. I keep a little fabric lined basket next to the toilet, the wipes go in there, and then (liner and all) go into the next appropriate wash load (underwear, socks, rags).
So, what's your opinion? And, if the *ick* factor is too great, how do you feel about cloth sanitary pads, or diapers, or handkerchieves?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
If cloth diapers, family cloth and pads are unsafe, then I should have died of something horrible years ago :lol:

Key words I saw. Time intensive.

I also get a vibe of this being inapropriate for the modern person?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
If cloth diapers, family cloth and pads are unsafe, then I should have died of something horrible years ago :lol:

Agreed. But you have to wonder then about this person's commitment to *preparedness*, which otherwise seems to be pretty strong. And what happens when the emergency goes on for longer/forever? Someday the paper will run out. Rather strange, actually, that our ancestors survived past the stone age, don't you think ;)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Bubblingbrooks said:

Agreed. But you have to wonder then about this person's commitment to *preparedness*, which otherwise seems to be pretty strong. And what happens when the emergency goes on for longer/forever? Someday the paper will run out. Rather strange, actually, that our ancestors survived past the stone age, don't you think ;)
Yeah, these are the people that believe they are prepared, but when they lose their jobs and who knows what else, find out that you cannot live on only ancient rice, beans and wheat berries.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm no expert, by any stretch, but I think this person is over-reacting just a tad. When I think back to watching my mother dunking my sister's cloth diapers in the toilet (OMG - without gloves or face mask or anything!!) & somehow living another 30 years & not wiping out the household (pun intended ;)), I think we'll somehow manage without TP or flush toilets if TSHTF (yeah, another pun).

I have about 3 months of TP stored, but also bought the 18 washcloth packs at W/M for longer-term emergencies. Never tried 'em, but I can't see how it would be any more "dangerous" than washing cloth diapers, IMHO.

Interesting article, tho. :D

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ok, the author makes good points, in that, if you don't treat poop right, you could end up with deadly water. This is true, but its pretty simple to not put an outhouse near your well or water table, or in the natural water flow towards such a body of water.

It is also something to think about as to what chemicals you are putting in the water supply when you soak cloths in bleach or whathaveyou.

I use cloth personal pads, and have used cloth for tp before. It is indeed time intensive and should the SHTF, I won't be using paper TP, but rather newspaper, cornhusks, etc. Things that can be composted right with the poop that would be available without purchase & didn't need washing. ETA:Not that TP can't be composted, but that it has to be purchased & or stored.

Water would be my #1 concern in that scenario tho, since cloth would have to be washed. I've always washed mine out as soon as they were used, unless I was away from home.

All in all, I'd say I'd have to agree, in general, although I think the author might be a little scared of poop. I mean, the reason that sewage is hazardous isn't because it is my own family's poop, but because it is from thousands of people, some undoubtably diseased, and you know people dump all sorts of substances down the drain, from drain cleaner to prescription drugs.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think the article a little over the top, to put it mildly. Good grief, with all the cloth diapers used over the years, the human race should be extinct! Funny timing on this. I won a nice gift card last weekend that I'm going to use for some "prep" items. Thought about toilet paper for a few seconds, but quickly crossed it off my list. Rags will do us just fine.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
She actually sounds more like a germaphobe than anything else!
Great Googley Moogley! I wonder what she thinks folks did before this grand invention of toilet paper? Think she'd faint when ya tell her about the old medieval "stick" that was "communal" ! Or that in some countries the left hand is for wiping and the right hand is for eating!
And to hear her talk of how dangerous urine is! Why you'd think that it was going to explode into a biological warfare the minute ya go!
Urine is sterile unless you have a medical condition or are taking certain meds or taking radiation therapy. Don't tell but if it is hot and dry during the summer I have saved mine and poured it onto my compost to kick the composting up a bit. it also seems to keep the deer from the yard if you pour it in strategic spots!

Baby bodies don't have all the toxins that we do as adults??
I guess that woman never changed one of my grand daughters diapers! Talk about toxic waste!:ep :sick

This is one gal who's eyes will be opened after TEOTWAWKI! ;)

On another forum that I am a member of (survival prep type) there is one guy who is gonna hoard paper plates, cups, plastic disposable silverware- that kind of thing as there is not going to be a logical way to clean your plates and utensils! OOOWAAAHH?
This poster then went on to describe how all the plates and stuff if not washed in water that was a certain degree hot with certain soaps/ sterilizing stuff and/or not dipped into boiling water will not be clean enuf to eat from! This poor fella ain't gonna last long either! He'd probably faint too if he knew that some folks let the dog lick the plate before it goes into the sink!:lol:

I kinda feel bad for them--well once I get over the laff'en of course!

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Emerald said:
She actually sounds more like a germaphobe than anything else!

He'd probably faint too if he knew that some folks let the dog lick the plate before it goes into the sink!:lol:
I'm completely convinced that my relatively good health is partially due to all the germs I've been exposed to over my life. Never been a neat freak or germophobe, & I'm by far the healthiest one in my family. And yes, the dogs & cats DO lick the plates before they're washed. :lol:

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
All I could think when I read that article was "Is she smoking crack?"
Cloth wipes and diapers have been around a LONG time! I don't know of anyone that has gotten sick or died from using them. I do however know of several kids that are allergic to store bought pampers and wipes!
Comfort factor?? Apparently she has never used family cloths! Family cloth is way softer!
Borax bad for the environment? Then why do so many do it yourself'ers use it to make homemade laundry detergent over the store bought laundry soap? I am sure Borax has got to be better than Tide!