Toilet paper or ... ?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I read it and kept expecting Pat's name to come up :lol:

:hide (Uhh.. It was informative and well written?)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Not *me*. I think it's ridiculous -- the author clearly has some "issues" going on, there. And has not even thought her arguments through very well.

I have always been the person arguing, on these "what supplies do you need to be stocking up on" threads we've had, that toilet paper should not be on the list, as being massively space-hogging and almost totally unnecessary. There are so many other things you can use for the purpose. To me, if the S really hit the F (either temporarily or permanently), you would have MUCH bigger problems than "ooooh these old phone book pages, or leaves or 'scraper stick' or whatever, are not all cashmere-soft on my delicate undercarriage"

I shall name no names but a number of OTHER forum members were the ones arguing that, no, toilet paper is a really essential item even in severe emergency ;)

Pat

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Gad, I hope that when TSHTF I have something better than a scraper stick! :lol: I think with my aim, TSWHT wall. :gig

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I kind of thought that people here would see this in a different light than she does. One bit that struck me was her mention of several billion people missing their TP when it gets to that point, and I was thinking :idunno does she really think that everyone on earth, or even most of us, have access to TP? I don't have figures for this, but I would guess that it is still a minority of people who use dedicated-for-the-purpose paper on their tender areas. Funny; she seems to be OK with baby diapers and feminine hygiene.
Noobiechickenlady - exactly! Dealing with the waste from our own family is magnitudes different from dealing with the waste from thousands of people of unknown health.
I am coming to see that people come at this topic from different places, and along different paths. We here at SS tend to think along the DIY path - how can we do *whatever* on our own, depending on no, or few, outside inputs. It seems a lot of people on *prepper* forums don't care about that, only about stocking up - thus the tons of toilet paper and paper plates; as well as food preps of questionable healthfulness.
So, OK, another question - cloth is good and fine, but how far do you take it? I compromise - cloth for wet, paper for solids. I could change without issue - though DH would find that difficult I think - but for the moment that works for me.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Thanks for the input. I kind of thought that people here would see this in a different light than she does. One bit that struck me was her mention of several billion people missing their TP when it gets to that point, and I was thinking :idunno does she really think that everyone on earth, or even most of us, have access to TP? I don't have figures for this, but I would guess that it is still a minority of people who use dedicated-for-the-purpose paper on their tender areas. Funny; she seems to be OK with baby diapers and feminine hygiene.
Noobiechickenlady - exactly! Dealing with the waste from our own family is magnitudes different from dealing with the waste from thousands of people of unknown health.
I am coming to see that people come at this topic from different places, and along different paths. We here at SS tend to think along the DIY path - how can we do *whatever* on our own, depending on no, or few, outside inputs. It seems a lot of people on *prepper* forums don't care about that, only about stocking up - thus the tons of toilet paper and paper plates; as well as food preps of questionable healthfulness.
So, OK, another question - cloth is good and fine, but how far do you take it? I compromise - cloth for wet, paper for solids. I could change without issue - though DH would find that difficult I think - but for the moment that works for me.
Same here. Just easier, but I would change if need be.

I think the writer of the article should do away with her undies if she thinks cloth wipes are an issue :lol:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I haven't read the article, or all the replies, but it's kind of funny in a way. I was just wondering what people would use for TP if it suddenly wasn't available and was going to ask for some suggestions. I turn on the computer, and found this thread.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
May I suggest, for anyone thinking of switching, that you look for some flannel sheets/pillowcases at your local thrift shop? I used some flannel I had in my fabric stash, and also a couple of flannel pillowcases that we never use as pillowcases (I inherited them from my mother, but DH doesn't like the feel of them). The new flannel is nice (and getting nicer, with all the washing), but the much worn flannel from the pillowcases is great ;). And most of them had at least one side already sewn :lol:. (Many ways to make/get the cloths; I cut squares about 7" on a side; sewed them together, right sides facing, leaving one side open; turned them inside out, and top stitched the open side)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
ORChick said:
May I suggest, for anyone thinking of switching, that you look for some flannel sheets/pillowcases at your local thrift shop? I used some flannel I had in my fabric stash, and also a couple of flannel pillowcases that we never use as pillowcases (I inherited them from my mother, but DH doesn't like the feel of them). The new flannel is nice (and getting nicer, with all the washing), but the much worn flannel from the pillowcases is great ;). And most of them had at least one side already sewn :lol:. (Many ways to make/get the cloths; I cut squares about 7" on a side; sewed them together, right sides facing, leaving one side open; turned them inside out, and top stitched the open side)
Did and done!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
So where does one store the little collection of wipeys until there is enough to make a laundry load? A diaper pail? Doesn't it get a bit fragrant after a few days? Just how often do you have to do this laundry and do you put it directly in the washer...or have to pre soak?