Toilet paper or ... ?

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow. That article was probably the biggest commercial I've ever read - she's got ads on there for both of the products she keeps pushing. And notice, there isn't ONE SINGLE negative comment on there? That suggests she's censoring them pretty heavily, because her attitude is extreme enough that SOMEONE would have posted an opposing view!

And that whole thing about people becoming mentally unstable if they didn't have familiar things, and the lack of toilet paper causing planetwide psycological meltdown! She really needs to get a life if she thinks that people aren't tough enough to use leaves if they have to (I mean, how many of us played in the woods as kids, or adults, and had to use "natural" solutions?).

There is a HUGE difference between a family, and a town. Massive. This is why daycare workers have to glove up, and why kids in daycares still have more illnesses than kids at home, related to hygiene. The germs we are familiar with are such a distinction medically that nurses changing a dressing on a central line for an immune compromised patient are required to glove up and mask before doing it, but a household member of the patient's household is not required to do either - just wash and go.

Yup, there are germs in poop! Ecoli is ALWAYS in poop, because it LIVES in your digestive system, and helps digest food. The kind that lives there ISN'T the same kind that contaminates cattle and makes people sick because it got into their stomachs - there are several strains of it, and it is the strains that are super hardy from mass production of farm animals that are harmful to us. Since we aren't going to be sharing the outhouse or the wipes with the cows and pigs, the risk is relatively low.

I really don't want to have to go that route - I mean, cloth is sort of gross. I'd rather use leaves or something (Sears and Roebuck web pages just can't replace the old multi-purpose catalog!). But she also acts like soft green corn husks are a readily available commodity at any time of year!

We have to avoid putting TP down the toilet in our RV. So we have a zip baggie beside the loo to seal them into. No smell. Not a pleasant thing to have to do even so. I imagine cloth would not be much worse, and there ARE containers with lids, after all!

Love the comment about underwear... That really belongs on her blog, if only to set her into a state of panic as she realizes that she has GERMS incubating in her UNDERWEAR, and OMYGOSH SO DOES EVERYONE IN HER FAMILY!

Sorry, couldn't resist a touch of melodrama, it seemed the only thing to combat that article!

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh yeah... and I love that she suggests newspaper! With the new water soluble inks on newsprint, won't she just LOVE having a black and inky behind! :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
ORChick said:
May I suggest, for anyone thinking of switching, that you look for some flannel sheets/pillowcases at your local thrift shop?
I have flannel sheets to get rid of every year or two from my massage business. The bottom sheets wear out, the top sheets do better but still the oil builds up on them. The pillow cases are in great shape, and the top sheets still have lots of usable area on them. I've made so many things from flannel! I have a bazillion little hemmed cloths that I use as napkins, hankies, udder washing rags, etc. Anyone want some sheets?? :p Check with your local massage therapists. You'll eventually find one who uses flannel and replaces his/her sheets regularly...usually around this time of year, when the flannel sheet sets go on sale and then on clearance.

I end up donating to the animal shelter for bedding.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
So where does one store the little collection of wipeys until there is enough to make a laundry load? A diaper pail? Doesn't it get a bit fragrant after a few days? Just how often do you have to do this laundry and do you put it directly in the washer...or have to pre soak?
I have a little basket with a cloth liner right next to the toilet; the used cloths go in there. When I do a washload of appropriate things (underwear, rags, whatever) the used cloths+liner go in too. I don't like to wash them with towels, for example, or shirts, but maybe that is just me. My problem is that we are a family of two adults, and don't need to do laundry that often; therefore I have more cloths than, perhaps, a mom doing multiple loads of laundry would need.
No pre-soaking, and not much smell. Think about it - most of the liquid goes in the toilet, very little actually ends up on the cloths. After many years of living in drought stricken California we tend not to flush every tme anyway; if things start getting a bit *ripe* in the bathroom it is probably because of this (and then we flush), and not because of a basketful of slightly damp cloths. There are little containers with lids though, if that sounds like a better idea.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I asked hubby what he would probably do as a replacement if TP was not available. He said rags. I would rather do rags for the liquids and leaves or something compostable for the solids.
Sears catalogs aren't available now, but a big city phone book could supply somebody for quite a while. The paper is about the same.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Phone books are printed with the same ink as newspapers. Just be aware of that! Seriously, it isn't all aesthetics either, some people are allergic to the inks and dyes from newsprint or phone books.

CJW

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Note to self:

Grow plants with large, smooth leaves.
:)

I have menstrual cloths that I use when I don't use my cup (heck, back in the olden days they used lemon rinds!), and I don't think my hubby would mind me using cloths for pee, but for the other stuff...yeah, we'd need leaves.

CJW

Power Conserver
Reaction score
lwheelr said:
Phone books are printed with the same ink as newspapers. Just be aware of that! Seriously, it isn't all aesthetics either, some people are allergic to the inks and dyes from newsprint or phone books.
They use soy for most of their printing.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
CJW said:
Note to self:

Grow plants with large, smooth leaves.
:)

I have menstrual cloths that I use when I don't use my cup (heck, back in the olden days they used lemon rinds!), and I don't think my hubby would mind me using cloths for pee, but for the other stuff...yeah, we'd need leaves.
That would be mullein. Some people call it hunter's TP.

CJW

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Awesome! Noted.

I will have to plant some next year...Mullein and garlic oil is a fantastic remedy for ear/nose/throat issues. (Just a couple drops in the ear canal does wonders!)