Totally Fed Up with ATT

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It IS on WPA2-AES. The strongest security. It SHOULD NOT be saying its broadcasting on WEP at all. When you go to the settings, it shows the security level. When I turn on wifi to connect, next thing I know, it says its weak security and WEP isnt great blah blah....do not know why its doing this at all.
We thought maybe my old router was just going out but with a brand new one doing the same thing? Its just very odd. I mean, it started doing the same thing the old one did within an hour of being set up.
I dont mess with the settings on the ATT homepage. The only thing Ive ever done is go in and change the password.
I cant turn off the wifi because I have cameras I check during the day to keep an eye on the critters so it has to stay on. PITA getting them connected to the new router since some are ladder only accessable. That was fun.
I called them and complained. Again. Probably will be doing that alot.
So do you have something (camera maybe) configured for wep?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think we will be seeing more and more of this type of stuff. Phone companies, Cable, Electric Companies... they have been losing money (i.e. not making as much of a profit as they want) so they cut back on maintenance. Stupid way to do things but... and I think we need to be prepared for less reliable systems, brownouts and blackouts as this moves forward. It's the beginning of a major Depression.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think we will be seeing more and more of this type of stuff. Phone companies, Cable, Electric Companies... they have been losing money (i.e. not making as much of a profit as they want) so they cut back on maintenance. Stupid way to do things but... and I think we need to be prepared for less reliable systems, brownouts and blackouts as this moves forward. It's the beginning of a major Depression.
Can you imagine the chaos when teenagers cant get on FB?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here is a cheap, relatively simple way to block your cell phone from being tracked.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
And the important thing to remember when using the Faraday Pouch is to turn your phone to Airplane mode so it doesn't burn all its battery charge searching for signal. I have to turn my phone to airplane mode when I go northto the cabin. No signal in the deep woods, so turn the phone to airplane mode. I use the phone for music so I don't turn it off.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Or, you can just buy one.

Screenshot_20200619-072011_Amazon Shopping.jpg

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My baby sister joined the peace corps after college. She was sent to Togo, Africa. ATT does not work well with the phone system used on Togo. Most of the time, if my sister on ATT here in the USA tried to call baby-sis, the call would not go through. So baby sis had to call anytime she wanted to talk to she - they were best friends so it was often. The only phone in the village was located in the bar and women were not allowed in the bar. She would have to stand outside and have one of the guys dial the phone for her.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have AT&T cell phones. There are AT&T land lines out here, but we elected not to get a land line. Why? Because they don't run internet on their phone lines. So we went with Hughes Net for internet. We also have Direct TV satellite, bought out by who else? AT&T!!! When it is storming, tornadoes on the ground and the TV news anchor is telling everybody where the tornado is, the satellite TV goes off, the Satellite internet goes off. So what do i do now? The tornado is heading this way! Do we jump in the truck and run for it? Do we hunker down in a small windowless room? (that would be a closet full of crap and it would all beat us to death if a tornado ripped the place apart). Or do we just kiss our A$$ GOODBYE? Our AT&T cell service sucks out here too. We are 9 miles to any of 3 towns, it's not like we are out in the boonies on the butt end of nowhere. 9 miles! We get ONE bar. ONE.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Might want to look into getting a HAM license. You're not required to know Morse Code to get the license anymore, although learning it is something I would like to do. In many situations where voice communication simply isn't getting through in ANY form, Morse Code can still be heard.