trapping rats

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Things have been a bit quiet the past couple of days. I have the water barrel trap up there and the repeating rat and mouse traps up there but DS had also thrown a bunch of big poison pellets, which are all missing.
The good thing is I don't yet smell anything. He just finished his first night shift and is sleeping and the girls are going to be leaving this PM to spend the weekend with DH, so I will check the situation later. Hopefully I have a bunch of cold, dead rats floating around. It would be almost like they'd be in a fridge between the cold weather and the water.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I realized today that there have been rats in my feed stall. I'm hoping that now that I've gotten it all cleaned up that they'll leave.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@rhoda_bruce how did the trap work?

I've joined the club, believe it or no, we have a mouse problem. I finally sussed out the strange tearing/tugging/bumping/rattling noises in the night is not coming from outside/the chimney, it's in the hollow bits in the wall and the floor... My bedroom's. Did I mention the middle of the night? :rant

How do you get into the walls/floors of a rental property? You don't. I checked. Not without damaging the place some. And the mouse did not show any signs of leaving that safe zone, even into the kitchen, where there is lots of easily accessible food, which made catching it very difficult. The other day DS did me a big favour though. He had some instant oatmeal and left the empty tub just inside the backdoor. I didn't notice it until the next day and in the meantime, walked past in the middle of the night on my way to the bathroom and heard a scuttling noise. Mouse was out and about and looking for that oatmeal… <evil> :D Traps will be set in strategic places soon. I like to sleep.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I suppose I must admit that I am afraid to climb the ladder, for the most part and usually leave it for DS. I have left it in the middle of the house though....an eye sore, so we can run up whenever we want. It doesn't stink in here. I might have a few dead rats in 3 separate kind of traps up there.
I know the problem goes on, but less. I sometimes hear things, but not as much. But, it really has not been very cold these past few days.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Makes two of us. I don't go up ladders unless I absolutely HAVE to. I hope they are sorted/caught up there, or frozen?

I spoke to my landlady tonight and asked her for a trap for the mouse. So we'll hopefully have that sorted soon...

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think I'd rather mice. I think I could maybe even catch a bunch of them alive. Sometimes it sounds like a doberman is running on my roof or in my attic.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Any chance it could be another animal? coon? etc. or have you see the little black pellets?

You have some severe weather now or coming .... and it's traveling up our way, also. More rain!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Turns out landlady is terrified of mice. We asked for A trap, she bought FOUR lol So far we set two and no casualties yet. :pop

Our weather's been all over the place recently. Snow one day, near 70F the next. Rain on and off, dry and "warm" in-between.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It could be squirrels, on my end, but I do know we have rats. And I found a hole, in one of my pilings, toward the bottom of all places. Its not on the corner, but I need to see if its a tunnel. I suppose the best thing to do is poison the hole and apply cement to fill it up.