Trespassing?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Did I ever tell my meat guy story? The one where he was hiding on my porch after listening to me through the open windows? And I felt so bad that I bought a pack of filet mignon from him? :D I was going to school and we were dirt poor then, too....

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
all your stories make me feel not so bad about hating tresspassers...

interms of the religious salesfolks...firslty no i havent found jesus yet, hes very good at hide and seek and if you cant find him....i dont think ill be able to either...

but seriously... dont mind them comming to the front door, knocking and being polite, i will be polite back i typically dont let them get through their sales pitch as i would personally be annoyed if someone let me go on for 15 mnutes before telling me no without a thought...so i politley tell them that i apreciate the thought and what they are trying to acomplish, but am quite happy as i am and simply not interested...
if they continue after that point i follow up with, as i said im not interested and i have to go...

if i say NO it means NO, now ive been polite about it and you shoudl take the hint...

its the onse that even after a polite no thanks followed by a no and ive got to go that end up with a door in their face...

the ones that realy bug me though are the "hey it didnt work monday so ill come back tuesday" religious sales folks...
we have one, a little old lady who is always smiles and sunshine...who no joke starting aproximatly june 1st through september first she comes to our house 3 times a week...shes done this for 2 years straight so far...firstly someone drives her up here...so its not like they can say "shes got alzhymers and doesnt remember she visited you"
the first year we were very nice to her at first, mum even let her do her schpeil...
as the months wore on and she kept comming back it got rather annoying.
last year at first it was "we were just heading out" or "we dont have time right now" and quickly turned into less than polite NO and simply not answering the door to her...and she would stand there 15 minutes by the front door driving the dogs crazy with barking...
i can tell you if it happens again this year she wll be told that weve been polite in the past and our answer remains the same now shes tresspassing and if she comes back we wll have to get law enforcment involved...

she always leaves the gate open too!

you come once, i say no...dont come back, my answers not going to change just because your persistent sorry.

sales folk get the same responce, im polite at first (this goes for phone sales too) and ask to be taken off their lists...but the 2nd no isnt so polite...

im not quite sure when "no" became "ask again in 5 minutes i might have changed my mind."

in terms of goign to a back door if the front door "doesnt work" or generally wandering around my property, thats a good way to get yourself arrested, shot or bitten (usually by the dog, not by myself LOL)

but im always so worried in this day and age when people sue for the sake of sueing...that soeones going to ignore my no tresspassing sign, trip over soething, break their arm and im goign to be liable for their medical costs...its an insane world.

personally i dont do well wiht people in general, im highly agoraphobic, highly socialphobic (i have extreem social anxiety disorder) and i dont do well with humans in general...
so for me people tresspassing is even more of a huge deal, my home and my land is MY space, its where i should be safe and secure...if i say no, it means no...it sometimes realy screws me up when people dont take no for an answer...i get paranoid for days about people being in "my space"

fences, gates and shrubs with thorns definatly are my friends...

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
This is not directed at anyone in particular......but admittedly at a lot of people who posted in this thread.

Why is it that it is ok to say snide things about certain religious groups and not about others? If the same tone were taken about black people or Jewish people or the pagans on this forum, there would be an uproar.

The people who come to your door have had a lot to do with the rights and freedoms we all have in this country. Ask anyone who has passed the bar. Many religious freedoms and medical autonomy rights result from Supreme Court decisions fought for and won by those very people who annoy you.

I strongly recommend that anyone who has made such remarks get the autobiography of Simone Liebster Arnold, Facing the Lion, and get a little more empathy towards those who fought for religious freedom. Not just here, but worldwide.

Sorry, it really, really bothers me. Really. A lot. :/

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
freemotion said:
This is not directed at anyone in particular......but admittedly at a lot of people who posted in this thread.

Why is it that it is ok to say snide things about certain religious groups and not about others? If the same tone were taken about black people or Jewish people or the pagans on this forum, there would be an uproar.

The people who come to your door have had a lot to do with the rights and freedoms we all have in this country. Ask anyone who has passed the bar. Many religious freedoms and medical autonomy rights result from Supreme Court decisions fought for and won by those very people who annoy you.

I strongly recommend that anyone who has made such remarks get the autobiography of Simone Liebster Arnold, Facing the Lion, and get a little more empathy towards those who fought for religious freedom. Not just here, but worldwide.

:clap thank you free. It bothers me too. :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Thank you, BBH! :hugs I know it is not generally meant to be hurtful, but I hope some think about it in a different light. And read the book. It is a fascinating one. I've read it three times now. Time to pull it out again. Very inspiring story of survival.

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:

Hmmm...methinks this could start some nasty comments that could probably get this thread shut down. And if I recall the OP asked that this remain a thread on trespassing and not religion. Granted that at points that seems to have already happened in posts previously made.

Maybe a topic that shouldn't be addressed here for the sake of keeping the warm and fuzzies going? :)

Seriously, not trying to be sarcastic or anything. But I just see this going into many bad bad places. Probably because it already has in my head... :lol:

ETA: B/c there are many things I could add but I think I'll keep them tucked safely away in my pagan little head... :)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I've never had Jews show up at my door and try to hand me copies of the Torah even after I've told them "Thanks, but no thanks. Have a nice day." No Wiccans bearing sage smudge sticks trying to talk me in to doing a cleansing either.

Not trying to be a butthead, but there have been plenty of occasions over the years where a friendly "no thanks" doesn't seem to work. After that, yeah, I get rude.

Yes, there are plenty of nice people just trying to be helpful going door to door. Unfortunately they have been the MINORITY in my experience.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
and i 100% agree with wifezilla, none of those groups have ever shown up at my door, let alone shown up and refused to leave or came back twice a week for 2 years running...
none of those groups have ever accosted me in the street called me names or acted like i was pure satan spawn simply because of my own religious choices.

for me again...
someone comes to my door...nice and polite, and i say no thank you and they go away and dont come back again....then im fine with that...
someone comes to my door, nice and polite and i say no thank you and they dont go away...thats when it becomes an issue...
doesnt matter what sex, religion, race or sales pitch is

no once again doesnt mean ask me again in 5 minutes i might have changed my mind.
and tresspassing is tresspassing...
people have a huge veriety of reasons they dont want ANY strangers on thier land, doesnt matter who it is...

for me its a serious mental issue that realy does effect and inpact my every day life...
i also have a huge fear of what would happen if someone got injured accidentally on my property, my fault or their own stupidity...theres a reason we all have to have liability insurance with homeowners insurance and i dont want some stranger missing a step breaking her leg and claiming on my insurance so MY premiums go up all because she wanted to sell me these state of the art new knives or this magical new vacume, or the wonders of god...

other people may have large dogs on the property who dont take kindly to strangers...theres a dog bite case waiting to happen...
my neighbors had a similar situation where their old deaf dog (big mastif like mix) was sleeping in their fully fenced gated yard. the yard had a sign "beware of the dog" and some kids hopped the fence to use it as a cut through, startled the dog and the dog bit one of them (not even bad enough to break the skin but a nasty bruise)
the kids parents sued the dogs owners, in the process the dogs owners couldnt find his last rabies vacination info and the vet they used shut down so this dog who was completly blind and about 14yrs old had to sit in a kennel while the case was tried, the dog was labled as a dangerous dog and actually died from the stress of being in the kennel for almost a month (he refused to eat and paced constantly) and they had to pay medical and "mental anguish" simply because the "beware fo the dog" sign indicated the owners knew he was agressive and "didnt take precautions to keep the dog under control" (because the large fence, gate and both beware and no tresspassing signs wernt enough?!)
and all the kid got was a "dont use other peoples yards as a cut through...its rude."

ever since them im paranoid...and i know these kinds of situatons dont usually come up further south or in more rural locations...but still, could you imagine being in that situation....YOUR at fault for soeones injury simply because they thought it was a good idea to tresspass on your property.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
ever since them im paranoid...and i know these kinds of situatons dont usually come up further south or in more rural locations...but still, could you imagine being in that situation....YOUR at fault for soeones injury simply because they thought it was a good idea to tresspass on your property.
That's actually really common. If someone breaks in to your house and gets injured, they will win the law suit.

Was it here or at work that someone told me they were given flyers warning them that certain types of windows injure people on break ins and to remove it to prevent law suits. I did have to wonder if it was the thieves who sent it out though ;)

Latest posts