Trespassing?

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow, it was my mistake in ressurecting this thread. I was trying to include a post from this thread into another thread, but being technically challenged I failed miserably. I was NOT trying to bring up old resentments.

ANY 'door knockers' can be very annoying, pushy & rude whether it's a salesperson for meat, landscaping, new windows or even religion (and there are atleast 2 different sects that are known for 'missionary' work). While I understand & respect any 'door knockers' motivation (just trying to make a buck in hard times or saving souls, etc) they do lack the same understanding & respect for those of us that aren't interested in what they are selling. Those that are nice, polite & respectful are in the minority.

Sorry Free, :hugs

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I think this thread should be shut down. Too many comments where entire classes of people are painted with a broad brush. These types of comments should be kept private, as they can be hurtful. JMHO.

If it were just about trespassing and legal access to one's front door was not included incorrectly as trespassing, it might be different. But some bigotry is showing up and it makes me sad. JMHO.

I used to be annoyed at a neighbor's barking dog. Then I got to know the dog and I didn't even really hear the barking anymore. Or if I did, I wondered if the dog was lonely and felt empathy for him. I didn't waste time remaining angry and annoyed.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Know what you mean about the barking dog (haha I can at least CHANGE the subject). Our neighbors had a pen near the bedroom window and the dog barked a LOT. Then I learned he had been born in that pen, and not left it his entire life. They brought him food once a day and that was it. I started feeling sorry for him. He died not long after, less than a few years old. Sad. Especially since they have two indoor spoiled dogs ... ?

lorieMN

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Shiloh Acres said:
Know what you mean about the barking dog (haha I can at least CHANGE the subject). Our neighbors had a pen near the bedroom window and the dog barked a LOT. Then I learned he had been born in that pen, and not left it his entire life. They brought him food once a day and that was it. I started feeling sorry for him. He died not long after, less than a few years old. Sad. Especially since they have two indoor spoiled dogs ... ?
now THAT is sad..:hit

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
free *hugs* i think your taking things perosnally and reading itno things a little more than mabe they exist, ive seen a number of relgions mentioned on this thread and a number not...

but one thing i have noticed is NOONE has bashed or made generlaized comments on ANY relgion other than it can be very annoying when they dont take no for an answer, no matter what section of the eligous spectrum they fall on...

i dont even KNOW that the twice a week lady's relgion is...just that she comes twice a week for the entire spring and summer season every year for 2 years (were wondering if shell make it 3)

i get shes trying to do her "duty" as she understands it in her particular religous group...and would have no problem at all if it was even once a year....

but when i say no thanks...that should be taken as such...

and it sounds like YOU personally are like that, and probably know many people who are also respectfull and understand no thinaks means no and that no tresspassing realy does mean enter at your own risk....

id hate to see a thread closed simply because 1 person takes offence to something that i dont nessicarily see as being a real issue, noone has said all *insert religion here* are like this...
just that the ones weve personally delt with are...

and im realy sorry if it upsets you...but mabe what you should take away from it is that YOU would be welcome on any doorstep as a respectfull person who respects fences, signs and personal boundries and mabe others with a similar calling should take a page from your book...

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
So I just had to say... the only time I've had someone "religious" not leave.... I'm pretty sure they weren't actually mormons.

1 - they were hitting on every female in the house
2 - they didn't know the bible
3 - the one guy agreed to coffee before his friend smacked him

LOL! Needless to say we kicked them out. Forcibly. They didn't want to leave and it got physical with threats about calling the cops.

But every missionary has been really polite. I think there are just people who have boundaries and those who don't and you just really hope to get those with whenever anyone comes to your home!

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Trespassers have a special place in my heart...right down there with carnies and lawyers...LOL.

I was home alone (as usual) one night in Virginia a few months before I retired from the Navy. I lived at the dead-end of a road pretty far back in the woods, not a place you just "pass by". Nice house, but just built out in the woods in an effort to be "left alone" which if you think about it seems like a ridiculous paradox seeing how Virginia is so close to everything I want to be far away from.
At any rate, it is about 11 PM and I hear a car pull into my driveway. It had a loud engine and it woke me up from what should have been a quiet night's sleep.

The next thing I know, I'm hearing some voices both men and women and one of the women's voice says "This place reminds me of one of those horror movies". At that point I put the business end of my shotgun through the window and put out two rounds toward the other direction, but it was dark enough to see the fire come from the muzzle. Then in my best "horror movie voice" said as loud as I could, "Do you remember the part where the crazy old man come out of his house shooting?" All I heard then was the starting of the engine and the car tearing out of the driveway with "VIGOR". :clap

OUt here on the prairie there is a philosophy. "SSS" which stands for "Shoot, shovel, and shut-up". My front loader will cut a hole deep enough and my mini-back hoe will make it even deeper so we don't get too many "trespassers" up this way very often. Like I said, if someone comes a callin' up this way and they aren't bringing a pie, you have to question their motivation. :smack

I did have one of the guy with the meat in the freezer "case my joint" and when he came to the door, I had been cleaning an old .22 so he looked at that and made his pitch rather quick. I did buy some fish from him but told him he'd "better call before he comes next time or better yet, wait till I call him cause it is safer that way!"
So far, he hasn't returned and I doubt that he will. :clap

We don't get many missionary's out this way. The LDS missionary's are almost always young men, between the ages of 18 and 22, wearing a white shirt, tie, dark pants and a name tag identifying them as LDS missionary's. They are always on "their own dime" for the entire 2 years of their mission which usually happens between high school and college. Ordinarily, I invite them in and feed them a meal, but I explain that they "don't have to "sell me a widget that I already own" and they usually get that...or I am a little clearer about it. But they are always very polite and very grateful for the meal or whatever you offer (other than liquor or coffee). :D

When I was digging the hole for my wind turbine, it was about 6 feet wide and 7 feet deep. Someone asked if I was digging a bomb shelter and I said "no, it's a repository for traveling salesmen and other unwanted strangers!"
They left in a hurry...LOL :ep
//BT//
Trim sends

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love little old church ladies :) My mom taught me to never judge a religion until I got to know it (except scientology) and so we always invite church ladies in.

When it turns political (ie, homosexuality) we politely end the session. But hey, why not have some tea and conversation with a nice person? You CAN stray from their purpose you know. I always enjoy conversation.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Since the tornato went thru here on 4/16 my queit neighborhood has turned into a darn theme park. Even though there is a Deputy posted to keep outright looters out he hasn't stopped all of the lookly-loos and the people that want to "help". It runs from 8am to 8pm (curfew?) Doorbell followed by banging on a door (I am a old man and it takes a while for my power chair to get me on my feet to get to the door!) Usually by the time I get there they assume no one is home so feel free to snoop around anywhere they darn please. I used to take my shotgun to see what they were up to but a deputy came to my door and wanted to take it from me. I gave him a earfull and told him just what it would take to get my gun. He finally realized that I was serious and wasn't afraid of his handgun. He left without my gun but told me the stupid law on trustpassers. You can't shoot them outside your house. Even if they try to breakin You will be arrested for shooting and your only out is to be able to convince the DA or a jury that you were in fear of your life.(so much for your home is your castle!) Taking a long gun with you while investigating is considered a threat in itself. And verbal can lift the charge to assult with a deadly weapon (I always thought assult had to be physical, but evidently a threat will do) Now if you have a carry permit and keep the handgun out of sight that is legal. but if it is plain sight they can charge you (i always thought you could carry if it was in plain sight and carrying a concealed gun was illegal) how the law has twisted the meaning of words!
So now I check with my cordless phone in my hand with "91" already dialed and my finger on the final "1" so they can locate me and hopefully send help before I bleed out (faint hope is better than no hope) Of course around the house I use a pitchfork rather than my cane that I use in the house or out and about. The pitchfork has many uses I'll be picking up trigs and leaves all summer but makes a dandy stabing tool and a fair polestaff.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have annoying tourist that like to come on to our property and pick our berries and apples. When I catch them doing it I go out and ask where do they live and get there address. Some ask why and most give it with out question? I answer so I can come down to your place and pick your yard over too. Most just leave but I have had to use some harder tactics on some. I've had some people try and give me money but I won't take it. I tell them this is a principle issue. Respect and ask never hurts. :(

Another favorite situation is when summer people who buy new homes here try and kick us off the mud flats. HAHAHA!! Just because they bought the house they think they bought the ocean too. Had one jackoff call the wardon and he laughed too. Some people. :) It's called high water line Cap!!!

Had one guy come on to our property and start picking all our mushrooms. Asked him what ya doing there cap?? He answered " you want to be careful some of these may be poisonous". I answered him " yup maybe so but don't ya think you should ask to pick MY mushrooms?" He put the mushrooms back and threw his hands in the air and walked away. I guess no apology was needed. So I went and got my riding lawn mower and mowed them all down when we walked by later. :)
I know I'm an ass. :)

I could go on by I would trash tourist to much and make people on here think I'm a hate monger. Like we say here "Some are people and summer not." :)