tried to make my own mayo..... :(

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
and I really don't like the seach feature here 'cause I can't find where Free posted how to make homemade mayo.

it's all liquidy

what'd I do wrong and can it be fixed?

1 egg, 1 egg yolk
1 cup oil

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
No, you can't fix this, but you can use it for other salad dressings .

How did you make it--regualr mixer or do you have a stick blender?

If regular mixer, you need to mix the eggs and spices and lemon juice vinegar together first, and s l o w l y drizzle in the oil. Key word is s l o w l y. and do not overmix.

If you are using a stick blender, add all the ingredients together, weit for egg to settle down, then puls a few times slowly until all the eggs is beat, andthen strat pulsing a bit quicker to incorporate the oil. It should thicken up just fine. Personally I use the stick blender

Recipe:

Mayonnaise

All ingredients must be at room temperature.
1 egg plus one egg yolk
1/8 t garlic powder
1/4 t onion powder
1/2 t salt
1 T vinegar
1 T lemon juice
1 cup vegetable oil

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ok, get this.

so I'm mad 'cause my mayo didn't work, so I go in the living room to pout.

come back about 20 minutes later, use the stick mixer again just to see what it would do and it thickens up, turns white and tastes just like mayo.

hmmmm....

I MADE HOMEMADE MAYO!!! :celebrate

used a stix mixer and your recipe. I just didn't list the spices, 'cause I didn't think it mattered with regard to the consistancy

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Recipe:

Mayonnaise

All ingredients must be at room temperature.
1 egg plus one egg yolk
1/8 t garlic powder
1/4 t onion powder
1/2 t salt
1 T vinegar
1 T lemon juice
1 cup vegetable oil
Would olive oil work instead of veg. oil??

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have made it with olive oil, but the taste was really strong. I find the lightest colour of oil is the best, I believe Wifey has made it with ghee before, and I think coconut oil will work too, if your into the health aspect of it.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
I have made it with olive oil, but the taste was really strong. I find the lightest colour of oil is the best, I believe Wifey has made it with ghee before, and I think coconut oil will work too, if your into the health aspect of it.
well, I made this recipe with coconut oil and it turned rock hard in the fridge. I made another batch minus the lemon juice and vinegar (the first was a bit too strong for my taste) and mixed both batches together.

worked great.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
abifae said:
i want to make it with grapeseed oil next time. it has a very delicate flavor :)
Let us know how it turns out. so far for me, sunflower oil is the best for me for salad dressings. I tried evoo for most recipes at first but had to alter them as the taste was still too strong. I settle with the sunflower oil, justifying that it is still better than store bought and not as bad as soybean oil.

eta--good to know about the coconut oil, as i was going to try that next. so 1/2/ and 1/2 might be ok?

Anyone else have any success with different oils? Wifey--how did the ghee taste?