tried to make my own mayo..... :(

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Come on over then Ldy, cuz avocados were on sale and i got lots! I still say cunflower oil, for the mayo, and to add to the season list, I add lots of dill or tarragon.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
Fat = Flavor !! (I am a VERY flavorful lady myself!

I wonder about the use of avocado oil in mayo. I think I have avocadoes on the brain today.
heck you may as well forget the mayo and puree the avocado and just spread it on the bread/ sandwich.

Ldy, my next door neighbor has about 70 avo trees. I guess that one good thing about San Diego. I had several but unfortunately we had to remove them for our leech field. But like I said before I am adding them back. The first food my kids ever ate was avocados. Pure bliss!!! :drool

gina

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Could you use a food processor? I have a nice bottle of cold pressed organic sunflower oil I'm going to try this with (got it up at the Common Ground Fair last year). I have a stick blender, but I was thinking the food processor might be better, using the pulse feature :hu

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
Could you use a food processor? I have a nice bottle of cold pressed organic sunflower oil I'm going to try this with (got it up at the Common Ground Fair last year). I have a stick blender, but I was thinking the food processor might be better, using the pulse feature :hu
Yes, I would assume it would work the same way as using the stick blender. Pour all ingedrients in, let the eggs settle, then start pulsing. first to just mix up the eggs, then to incorporate the oil. Once the oil has started mixing, then you can pulse for longer periods of time.

I'm not sure if this was addressed, but your eggs should be room temperature.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Just made my first homemade mayo. I followed a recipe from the cookbook I have from the library that I mentioned here http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5367&p=4

I used one room temperature egg, juice of 1/2 lemon, 1/2 tsp prepared mustard, 1 tsp salt (WAAAY too much!) and a very light Philipo Berrio olive oil. Yes, it's greenish but aside from being too salty I like it. I did it the regular blender. Mixed the egg, mustard and salt for 30 seconds then added the lemon juice and blended another 30 seconds. Then the recipe has you drizzle 1/2 tsp of the oil at a time a few times and blend after each. Finally you drizzle the remaining oil while the blender is running. It emulsified. I used it to mix up some tuna salad and it tastes great in that. I just really bad at remembering which oils are bad and which are okay and which are in between. I should make myself a cheat to keep in my bag for when I'm shopping.

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How long does homemade mayo keep? I don't use mayo much, but it would be great if I could make one batch and have it be good in the fridge, like the commercial stuff I use now.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
ToLiveToLaugh said:
How long does homemade mayo keep? I don't use mayo much, but it would be great if I could make one batch and have it be good in the fridge, like the commercial stuff I use now.
The recipe says 4 days in the fridge.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
If you use a vinegar recipe, it lasts a long time. I've kept it for more like a month before using it up, and it always passed the sniff test!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
freemotion said:
If you use a vinegar recipe, it lasts a long time. I've kept it for more like a month before using it up, and it always passed the sniff test!
Same here, I make double batches, and keep them in the fridge for weeks. some times we go through mayo like lightnening, other times it is in there for a good month. No one has died yet :) I use ACV, and I find it has a nice zip to it.