tried to make my own mayo..... :(

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
When I make my mayo, i use my stick blender and it works great--you onkly need two hands. :)

Put everything in in the order listed--eggs, seasonings, lemon juice/vinegar, and oil. then I let it sit till it stops moving. Then I put in the stick blender and let it settle down again. (at this this point, I usually wit a minute or two)

When its time to blend, i pulse with very short pulses, and then increase the length and duration of the pulses, until everything is incorporated. i think I have only had one bad batch, and it wasn't really that bad.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Using the recipe in the link, which is from Nourishing Traditions, I got just over 3/4 cup, but did "lose" some as I held the lid off the blender to drizzle in oil. I used extra light olive oil and don't find the taste overwhelming. Does it taste like Helmann's? Nope, but that's okay by me. I used 1/4 cup in some homemade bleu cheese dressing. I will dream about tomorrow's lunch all night!

ga_goat

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
been readin for several hours but I just have to ask this ,,, what is a stick blender ?? will my sunbeam stationery mixer work ?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
ga_goat said:
been readin for several hours but I just have to ask this ,,, what is a stick blender ?? will my sunbeam stationery mixer work ?
:welcome

I understand the "reading for several hours" part!

Just put "stick blender" in your google search and a picture will appear in the list.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Hi ga goat! Welcome to SS!

A stick blender is a waterproof "stick" with a mixer/blender on the end of it. It is long and narrow and can even be placed into a tall glass of stuff to mix.

Does that make sense? :p

I use my regular blender for mayo and it works fine.

(You can find stick blenders pretty cheaply too. I got mine at a grocery store for under 10 bucks and it lived a mighty long time.)

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use the regular blender for my mayo. However its got the little pop out top on the lid which makes it real nice for adding the oil. I was able to get it to work in the stand mixer with the whipping head, but it was a horrible mess.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Rebecka said:
I use the regular blender for my mayo. However its got the little pop out top on the lid which makes it real nice for adding the oil.
That's how I do mine too. It splorts out a little when I take the top out though.