tried to make my own mayo..... :(

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yay! Making mayo is a big step.....cross one more processed food off your grocery list and make it with your own hen's healthy eggs and your choice of oils.

I make this recipe but without the lemon juice...don't care for that flavor. I tend to use a milder vinegar sometimes, too, as I find distilled white vinegar to be a bit harsh to my tastebuds. Depends on what I will be using it in.

I made it with "Mary's oil blend" from NT...equal parts coconut oil, EVOO, and sesame oil. I loved it in chicken salad, but soon got SICK of the coconut flavor.

I also tried it with plain EVOO and it was thin and runny and greenish and didn't taste right. Blech.

I really wanted the chicken fat version to work out, but it got hard like hard butter and was not remotely spreadable, and it separated a bit, too.

Any mild oil should work, but do report back to us. I'm trying to remember if I used grapeseed yet. I always have quarts of it in my cupboards, since I use it in my massage practice. Must've tried it....must've been uneventful.... :p

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yay for stick blenders!
I use a mix of oils. I have resorted to using half canola and half coconut. (Don't smack me - I know canola is supposed to be bad) I can taste every other oil flavor and I have tried them all. Grapeseed, olive oil, sunflower, etc. all have a noticeable flavor to me that I do not like.
I like how the coconut oil firms it up a bit, but I agree that alone it would be too solid to spread.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
What about almond oil? Why ghee mayo gets rock hard so I think I am going to try half ghee half almond oil next time.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I was inspired to try this this morning, beating by hand - I don't have a mixer. I figure that mayo was invented before mixers.

I got slimy yellow goo. I'm not pouting yet. I set a time for 20 min and will mix it again. If nothing else, I'll try mustard. SO makes sandwiches with mustard and mayo, so he would like it.

And if nothing else works, it wil be good for the dogs.

:(

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I tried mayo once- I didn't have a stick blender so I tried it in the regular blender. It didn't work. We use so little mayo in our lives, that I just bought the tiniest jar of organic I could find. It is mostly for when we have company who wants it!

Of course, now I have a stick blender- I *had* to buy one for my soap :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I use canola only for mayo, since I can taste the oil, too. But I figure we all have vices, huh? :rolleyes: It is a small one.

If you are making mayo by hand, use a big wire whisk and beat like crazy. It would be helpful to have someone else dribble the oil in for you so you don't stop whisking. It should work. Many recipes I've read say to use a whisk.

You can also over-beat it and it will "break" and seperate.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I used to make mayonnaise in a regular blender; worked just fine for me, just have to always remember to dribble that oil in slowly. I don't make mayo often anymore - DH doesn't eat it, and I can't (shouldn't ;)) eat the whole recipe on my own. I still make Hollandaise in the blender; works every time. I have a friend, who lived in France for a number of years, who makes mayo using just a fork to mix it.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
After seeing all that oil, I think I will skip the mayo and stick to plain yogurt. :( Ewww. Really? (But it tastes so good...) :lol:

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Fat = Flavor !! (I am a VERY flavorful lady myself!

I wonder about the use of avocado oil in mayo. I think I have avocadoes on the brain today.