tried to make my own mayo..... :(

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I tried the mixer... it didn't cut it. Quite a big runnier than normal and that is with regular veggie oil.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Reading all the recent threads on mayonnaise, and the several who say that olive oil is too strong, and others that say the color is odd, I have been wondering what people said a hundred some years ago when commercial mayonnaise was first introduced: This stuff is so pale and bland; what do they do to it that it is so very different from "real" mayonnaise? :D

As mayonnaise is most likely native to Spain or the south of France I'm sure that originally the oil used was olive oil. That is what I use, and it is certainly different from storebought, but I rather like it - especially with garlic! However, the suggestion for avocado oil sounds like a good one, and I think I might also try it with walnut oil. And I have to say that the color of mayonnaise made with fresh eggs from my free range hens is quite astonishing! :)

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Hey ORchick! Yes, the recipe I have for mayo is Julia Child's and it calls for salad oil or olive oil, so I suspect olive oil was once typical. I think it is the extra virgin olive oil that causes the coloration and flavor "issues."

The avocado oil is nearly clear, but my mayo came out pale yellow, because my duck egg yolks are so bright! :D

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What's weird ORC, is that I really like olive oil. I would spread olive oil on bread for a sandwich or drizzle it on my salad. I think its something about using the blender that makes it taste funky.

I might try a recipe with my hand crank egg beater and see if it tastes better to me. Might not be worth it :p

The mayo I made with ghee (veeeeery tasty, but hard as a rock!) is still good. At least, its not molded or funny colored and still smells yummy.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
What's weird ORC, is that I really like olive oil. I would spread olive oil on bread for a sandwich or drizzle it on my salad. I think its something about using the blender that makes it taste funky.

I might try a recipe with my hand crank egg beater and see if it tastes better to me. Might not be worth it :p

The mayo I made with ghee (veeeeery tasty, but hard as a rock!) is still good. At least, its not molded or funny colored and still smells yummy.
My friend, who lived in France for 7 years, makes her mayonnaise with a fork - works every time ... for her :lol:. I can't seem to get it to "come together". I have somewhat better luck with a small balloon whisk, but usually just use my blender.
And, while I adore Hollandaise sauce, and could happily eat it with a spoon, I'm having trouble with the concept of mayonnaise made with butter/ghee. I think it must be the temperature difference.

ETA: The problem that I see with a handcrank egg beater is that you need at least 3 hands :D One to hold the beater, one to turn the handle, and one to drizzle the oil.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sounds like my friend's mom who can whip egg whites to sharp peaks with a fork in 5 minutes flat. I just have never been able to get them that fluffy & stiff.
The ghee mayo tasted like I spread mayo on one side & butter on the other, quite good, but once it chilled, you needed a chisel to get it out so we haven't used it much. On the 3 hands issue though; I do have a DD who can drizzle for me. And hold the bowl too :cool:

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How much does this recipe make? I am assuming about 1C- but you know how assuming something is;)

Monica

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I'll call it guessing rather than assuming and say that sounds about right. I haven't made it yet. :D

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Volume of oil + volume of eggs + some air to make it fluffy = final volume of mayonnaise :lol: