tried to make my own mayo..... :(

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Everytime I come here I realize that I still have a lot to learn! You can tell I'm from the poor stix. I was thinking-"Grape seed oil? Is that edible?" We don't have a such a thing around here!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Following the recommendation in "Nourishing Tradition" of putting whey in the mayonnaise, and letting it ferment at room temperature for 7 hours supposedly improves its keeping qualities. I've only done this once (we don't eat a lot of mayonnaise), and it did stay good for quite awhile.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I need to try sunflower oil, I think. I have made mayo twice with olive oil and did not really like it as a sandwich spread, but it lasted for a good long time (had vinegar in it) and it was fine for making potato salad with. I was going to just buy some more mayo, but considering it probably has cottonseed oil in it, and considering how rarely I use it and how many eggs I have handy, I would be better off tracking down a less flavorful oil to make my own mayo with.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
freemotion said:
If you use a vinegar recipe, it lasts a long time. I've kept it for more like a month before using it up, and it always passed the sniff test!
Ah! Cool, thanks!!

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You guys have just solved the mystery of why the mayo I tried to make once didn't turn out. I didn't know about the slow drizzle thing! :idunno

I'm going to give it another try. I have to use store-bought eggs (those baby chicks are growing fast, but not fast enough), but I found some instructions on how to pasteurize eggs at home, so I'll give that a shot.:thumbsup

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The drizzle thing is definitely important. If you get overzealous, it goes all funky. Last time I made it it was WAY too salty and DH wouldn't touch it. Recipe I'm trying today to go in deviled eggs is: 1 egg, 1 egg yolk, 1/2 t salt, 1T vinegar, 1 T lemon juice, 1/8 t sugar, 1/2 t mustard powder, a pinch cayenne and 1 cup oil. I'll let you know how it goes.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Not too bad. Still a bit saltier than I like. I used 1/2 olive oil and 1/2 vegetable oil. You can definitely taste the olive oil. Next time, I'll go with just vegetable oil or maybe 1/4 olive oil.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
try a couple of drops of tabasco yum

Aidenbaby said:
Not too bad. Still a bit saltier than I like. I used 1/2 olive oil and 1/2 vegetable oil. You can definitely taste the olive oil. Next time, I'll go with just vegetable oil or maybe 1/4 olive oil.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Aidenbaby said:
Why not leave the salt out entirely, and add it in when you use the mayonnaise? Add it in to the deviled egg mixture, or tuna salad, or whatever, and then just as much as is needed.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
OK, I just had to revisit this thread and say:

:woot THANK YOU Ldychef2K for your suggestion of using avocado oil. I think that it made the best mayo ever! :drool I didn't think I would be able to find any, but I did. Mind you, avocado oil is spendy! But WOW! . . . I'm not a big mayo fan, yet I could eat this stuff straight out of the jar! :lol: Now I need to find all those recipes out there that call for mayo that I don't normally make. :)