trying to help DH pull out a tooth so the dentist doesn't have to

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Went to dentist today with DH to get a consult for a bridge. She needs to remove 3 teeth....he lost one on his own a few days ago. Well it will cost 104 dollars per tooth extraction plus about 800 to 1100 for the bridge.
Well DH decided a bottle of Scotch costs less than 104 bucks and he will remove it himself. Well he is sorta wasted now and the tooth is loosening, but still holding.
I am cringing and using muscles in my back because of the stress I am in.
He is refusing orajel. He says it will mess with the taste of the Scotch. And now when I try to flip the tooth, he is hesitant to allow me.
Any suggestions to get it out easier? I don't think you can get much more frugal than this.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Wait till he passes out and get a hammer to finish the job :hu If DH tried to make me do that he'd wake up missing more than a tooth :/ :sick

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
:ep :bow
No idea, other then keep wiggling.
Thats what they did for mine years ago.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
ouchies!!!! Whatever you do, be careful of the healthy teeth. MIL tells the story about how the FIL took a pair of pliers to one of the boys' teeth to pull it and he messed up two good teeth.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No worries. The one we are hoping to lose is right in front and sideways, plus the dentist will remove the 2 surrounding it anyway. DH is reading ya'll suggestions and he says he is not that drunk yet to confuse his teeth.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Your DH is trusting. Mine won't let me anywhere near his teeth. He has one that needs pulled, and I have offered repeatedly to do it for him, but for some reason everytime I get the hammer and chisel he changes his mind. :hu

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I tried 60LB fishing line, tied to a firelog and I was going to drop the log, but he didn't want me to. He lowered the log and allowed it to hang there.
Then we had trouble removing the string.
I was sweating.
The he took a few more shots of Chivas. He might not remember this stuff tomorrow.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Did you get it out? This is the most unbelievable thread I have ever read on here.

I have a friend who's dad is an oral surgeon. When he is removing a tooth (molars generally) he actually crushes the tooth first, then pulls out the pieces. I'm not recommending that, but I think that's how they get them out.