trying to help DH pull out a tooth so the dentist doesn't have to

Bailey'sMom

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Up-the-Creek said:
I guess it would depend on whether you had a hundred bucks or not,....:D
I guess but I would cut back on something else if I had to.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea horrible thread lol
not something I would ever do
$100 ain't worth it along with infection etc.

boy it is wild haha taking SS to a crazy level

if you are spending like $1100, $1200 ain't much more :p

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Feeling your pain. Have 2 loose now and dreading going in cause ya can bet your booty the whole top teeth will have to go. Don't, don't don't want dentures but need to be able to chew. Haven't even priced it yet, too scared. Feel your pain.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I agree about the infection part. I actually have a co-worker whose SIL died because of an infection she got after having dental work done. Best to let a pro do it. Funny story though, the dentist we went to when I was a kid (in the 80s) was about 70 and he actually used pliers from the hardware store to extract teeth. He really did.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I absolutely can not afford a dentist either, so I understand. Living in a bit of dread myself since I have about a half-dozen missing fillings and a temp crown fell out about six months ago (after being in for about 8 years or so -- can't complain since my dentist said it would only be good for a couple months).

But I'd fear infection too, if it's not taken care of or isn't handled right. Or possibly some nerve damage if we're talking a lot of root/jaw involvement.

I know I had an absess a while back that made it hard to function. I ended up calling a charity service and they would extract the tooth (wasn't one I WANTED to lose) but it took 2 months to get an appointment. Fortunately my boss helped me through that one with goldenseal and geranium oil.

I hate not having dental insurance.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have dental insurance and still the costs are unaffordable. It pays 100% on maintenance,..but pulling teeth or fillings,...put it this way,last winter my DH had two teeth pulled and one filled (which as usual,..it fell out just a few months later) anyway,...it still cost us way over $500. It was cheaper when we had NO insurance and paid cash. :/

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
mrs.puff said:
I agree about the infection part. I actually have a co-worker whose SIL died because of an infection she got after having dental work done. Best to let a pro do it. Funny story though, the dentist we went to when I was a kid (in the 80s) was about 70 and he actually used pliers from the hardware store to extract teeth. He really did.
If she got an infection after a "pro" worked on her, then I doubt it would be much different to do it at home! :p

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm not angry with anyone, so be at peace.
My poor husband's tooth is still, unfortunately, hanging in there. It will come out by or on the 28th, one way or the other. I do have the 1,100 to 1,400, needed for the whole job which includes 3 extractions. I am surprised its my husband wanting to save this money.
I trust this dentist, as far as I know of her thus far, but in the past I haven't. I have 4 filling in my mouth and I have never believed I ever had a cavity. I was told I had one in the back of my mouth which I should later (pregnant) get removed and never did. Then I found another dentist, 12 years after the fact and he said I didn't have any cavities and it would be a sin to drill in my mouth. Well I'm still hanging onto everyone of my teeth.....I ate an apple in front of my husband and he accused me of showing off.
Also......I'm a nurse, with a certain amount of experiences and I can assure you that I have saved many people from their doctors care and treatments.
But really, if he would have just let that log fall, the tooth probably would be gone.
He gets a bit too much to handle on Scotch. I prefer him when he has beer or wine....even Madeira, but that Scotch makes him too interesting.
Sorry I created such a horrible thread. I might one day say that about someone else, but I'm not sure what it would have to be to inspire me to do so. But really, I'm fine and plan on having a great evening.......take care all.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
You didn't horrify me. :p I assumed the tooth was ready to go, like a childhood tooth. :)

I might horrify you when I say that I super glued a gaping hand cut back together in 2007.

My primary care dr. wouldn't do sutures for some odd reason. She cleaned it up though and tried to send me to urgent care across town. That is when I said, screw it and took care of it myself.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I do remember going to a new dentist once who charged more for all proceedures and after a cleaning and exam, told me I needed 12 or 14 fillings (forget exactly). I didn't make it back for all that. Six months or a year later, I went to a different dentist for my cleaning and exam, and that one told me I had two "shadows" which he could either fill or recommended just watching them till next cleaning.

I am SO glad I didn't let the first dentist drill another dozen holes in my teeth. Would probably be that many more missing fillings I'd have by now not to mention a little more mercury exposure ...

Latest posts