TSHTF Bread

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok, I made the subject line to get your attention ... ;)

What I'm interested in, are members' experiences with bread-baking without using their normal electric/gas ovens...for instance, if your power was out for a couple of weeks, how would you bake your bread? Has anyone used a solar oven or maybe a rocket stove? Did you use a cast iron dutch oven? How did you "tweak" your recipes to account for this, if you did? Please share!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
:pop At this point I'd just be making pancakes :p Interested to know as well!!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I have made cornbread in a cast iron skillet on the gas grill - no recipe tweeking required. Just a cover for the pan. But now you have me thinking so I will have to try my regular bread on it as well.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
English muffins and tortillas can be made on a griddle as well, and this would be enough to satisfy us for a long time. If things were that bad, we wouldn't be needing too many sandwiches to bring in our lunch bags for work!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Someone on here has made bread, artisan, I believe, in a cast iron dutcvh oven. Like Free said, I have made tortillas and english muffins on a cast iron fry pan, although my last batch of english muffins I did in the oven, just b/c they browned too much on the fry pan. Whatever you do, do NOT oil the fry pan, like most recipes tell you to. Your tortillas and muffins will burn and your house will be filled with smoke.

I have been eying a cast iron dutch oven--what size should I get? Christmas is comin'

http://www.berryhilllimited.com/b-cart/default.asp?whichpage=2&pagesize=8&cat=198&mode=

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Who needs bread? Shredded zucchini, cheese and eggs fry up easy and make a good wrap.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We're in the process of building a solar oven right now! One of the first things I am going to experiment with is bread, so I will let you know! :D

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've heard of making biscuits in a dutch oven over coals, altho never tried it. Trying tortillas would be interesting; anyone have a recipe for "flavored" tortillas? (you can find the spinach, red pepper, etc. "wraps" in the store)

Still, I'd still like to know if "real" bread is possible...! :D