sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Apparently I fell asleep trying to edit a spelling mistake on my post and accidentally deleted it. And went to I dont know where on the internet.

So again, I always gotten a rash and blisters from deoderants. So I use salt bars to prevent being stinky, and I do get that way when working. Baking soda burns me so that is not an option.
I restored it for you. I saw the crumb earlier, but wasn't sure if you wanted it deleted, so I left it.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Phone was almost dead, thumb pressing on screen to hold it keeping the phone on. First time for me. Usually it's hubby doing that.

Normally I only delete duplicate posts and tag why

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I do strange things on the phone when I use it. That small screen and so many things to touch. Suddenly there are links EVERY WHERE! lol

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Spouse refuses to use any kind of deodorant. Only showers occasionally (Aspergers traits), and yes....he needs to use something under his armpits. :sick:sick:sick
It makes my eyes water sometimes.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I asked hubby if there is anything he does hygiene wise that most people don't. His reply was wash his hands after using the toilet.

I laughed and had to put it here just because that's pretty much my experience in public restrooms too

I'm always shocked at the number of women who do not wash after using the toilet. I think the generations who were taught to do this are aging out and the newer generations were just never taught, maybe?

When I was in grade school there was a sink in each classroom and we were required to wash our hands prior to going to lunch, wash our hands when coming in from recess, etc. When my older siblings were in grade school, they were had to have their hands inspected when they arrived at school...nails had to be short and clean, each child had to have a clean hanky, all girls had to have dresses or skirts on instead of pants.

How far have we come from these hygiene standards for our children?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Making eye contact with them in the mirror as I wash is effective intimidation. Probably helps that I usually have a look on my face like I just smelled something foul.

I can't say it's the younger generation over here. I've seen all ages do it. The intimidation works better on the older ones. Younger ones don't make eye contact often

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Back to personal hygiene since I derailed this.

I prefer apple cider vinegar rinse for my hair. Makes it feel clean and light and I don't have tangle issues with it.

I quit plastic combs. I found the oriental wooden and horn combs work much better and don't cause static. Wide toothed wood comb gently and easily removes tangles. Fine tooth horn comb for styling.

I use a body brush. It's supposed to help prevent patchy skin by spreading oil and removing dead stuff. I admit I use it because it feels really good.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
1) I found a bottle of body wash and decided to use it up. (Oops)
2) I got a rash every time I used it
3) I wore deoderant 2 days
4) Deoderant + body wash = FOUL body odor. OMG, I cannot stand being near myself right now!
5) I most certainly did not make myself nose blind, I actually don't smell unless I use body wash and/or deoderant. (Worse if it's "and"!)

I have started using a conditioner and gel for my hair to make it nice and curly as it's growing out.

I'm going right back to no soap/body wash/deoderant. Quite a racket those companies have, making us dependent on their anti-stink products because they make us stink.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm doing an experiment on trying to grow out my hair, currently right past shoulder length, and trying to restore some of my natural curl along the way. I started this due to some research I was doing for my 4 yr old grandgirl's curly hair and it just morphed into an experiment involving me too.

So, we found some vids on YT about the Curly Girl method, where they don't use any products with silicone, sulfates or parabens, mineral oils, etc. There's a long list of things I won't repeat here, but it's all about restoring natural, strong hair that's moisturized properly. They also don't use heat styling, cotton fiber towels, and they don't wash hair more than twice a week, some only once. They use protective styling at night and also sleep in satin caps or use satin pillow cases...all of these are to prevent hair breakage from friction as we sleep at night.

Anyhoo, I found some shampoo, conditioner and deep conditioner from a line called Maui at Walmart that we are currently using. I love the ingredients, how it makes my hair feel and the smell is heavenly! First ingredient is usually aloe vera juice or coconut water and then has all the usual suspects that promote good hair health, moisture and growth.

This is some of their packaging, which is easy to spot on the shelves...

images

The deep conditioner is a little too heavy for frequent use for both of us, but I've found that it has worked a miracle when applied to my face as a nightly moisturizer....after just one use I noticed some very deep lines in my face had started to go away or diminish, grow more shallow? Puffiness and redness under the eyes left and it's generally smoothed out most of the lines on my face now...I sleep on my stomach, so tend to wake up with some serious creases and puffiness, particularly on the left side of my face. This stuff works a miracle when applied to those morning creases! Within a few minutes...GONE.

Don't know which ingredient in it is working the miracle and I don't much care, but it's lifted a few good years off my face already. Not bad since I can use it to deep condition my hair too. Don't know why it occurred to me to try it on my face, likely it was the coconut oil, as I'd been wanting to try some of that for moisturizer anyway.

I'm also doing a weekly scalp massage with castor oil to promote hair growth.

All these hair care changes have resulted in some changes with my hair and scalp~shinier hair, lessening of the grey(NOT something I wanted, I happen to love my silver but I notice it has lessened in just the short time I've been using these products or it could be the CO massage, not sure), healthier scalp...no more itching or flaking, softer more manageable hair, less hair loss...this is a HUGE problem for me and always has been. I shed enough to make someone a wig and will lose hair in the shower and when I comb, but not anymore.

No hair in the shower, none in the comb and I'm not seeing any on my clothing either. That's all really neat and will help me grow out my hair more quickly.

I am noticing more frizz now that I'm not using the silicones, sulfates and parabens, but I'm currently experimenting around with a few all natural products to see if I can control that. Aloe Vera gel is one that I want to try, but haven't yet.