Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm doing an experiment on trying to grow out my hair, currently right past shoulder length, and trying to restore some of my natural curl along the way. I started this due to some research I was doing for my 4 yr old grandgirl's curly hair and it just morphed into an experiment involving me too.

So, we found some vids on YT about the Curly Girl method, where they don't use any products with silicone, sulfates or parabens, mineral oils, etc. There's a long list of things I won't repeat here, but it's all about restoring natural, strong hair that's moisturized properly. They also don't use heat styling, cotton fiber towels, and they don't wash hair more than twice a week, some only once. They use protective styling at night and also sleep in satin caps or use satin pillow cases...all of these are to prevent hair breakage from friction as we sleep at night.

Anyhoo, I found some shampoo, conditioner and deep conditioner from a line called Maui at Walmart that we are currently using. I love the ingredients, how it makes my hair feel and the smell is heavenly! First ingredient is usually aloe vera juice or coconut water and then has all the usual suspects that promote good hair health, moisture and growth.

This is some of their packaging, which is easy to spot on the shelves...

images

The deep conditioner is a little too heavy for frequent use for both of us, but I've found that it has worked a miracle when applied to my face as a nightly moisturizer....after just one use I noticed some very deep lines in my face had started to go away or diminish, grow more shallow? Puffiness and redness under the eyes left and it's generally smoothed out most of the lines on my face now...I sleep on my stomach, so tend to wake up with some serious creases and puffiness, particularly on the left side of my face. This stuff works a miracle when applied to those morning creases! Within a few minutes...GONE.

Don't know which ingredient in it is working the miracle and I don't much care, but it's lifted a few good years off my face already. Not bad since I can use it to deep condition my hair too. Don't know why it occurred to me to try it on my face, likely it was the coconut oil, as I'd been wanting to try some of that for moisturizer anyway.

I'm also doing a weekly scalp massage with castor oil to promote hair growth.

All these hair care changes have resulted in some changes with my hair and scalp~shinier hair, lessening of the grey(NOT something I wanted, I happen to love my silver but I notice it has lessened in just the short time I've been using these products or it could be the CO massage, not sure), healthier scalp...no more itching or flaking, softer more manageable hair, less hair loss...this is a HUGE problem for me and always has been. I shed enough to make someone a wig and will lose hair in the shower and when I comb, but not anymore.

No hair in the shower, none in the comb and I'm not seeing any on my clothing either. That's all really neat and will help me grow out my hair more quickly.

I am noticing more frizz now that I'm not using the silicones, sulfates and parabens, but I'm currently experimenting around with a few all natural products to see if I can control that. Aloe Vera gel is one that I want to try, but haven't yet.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Bay, I LOVE, love, love your hair!!! I would so love to steal that color for my own. It's so very pretty and suits your skin tone to a T. I always love to see folks with grey or white hair who also have a sun tan...just perfect together.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Interesting about the magnesium. I take it so maybe I won't go gray! Lol but seriously, my midwife said most women are deficient in magnesium for whatever reason. I take it because she recommended it for migraines. Haven't had one since (the real test will be when humidity hits this summer though)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do sugar scrubs on my hands when they get too rough and dry. Easy to make and can pick what oils to use. I only use salt scrub on feet since it's a bit rough. They are just sugar (or salt) and enough oil added until desired consistency is reached. I usually add a few drops of essential oil to avocado oil for them.

I make my own chapstick as I posted about before. It's worked better than the store bought stuff. Gave Mom some. She now wants much more of the stuff I made with shea butter. Says it heals her faster.

I recommend using a body brush. It's good for the skin and feels great. Long handled boar bristle is what I use. Evens out skin oils and exfoliates.

I use a salt bar on all areas that get smelly sweat, so no smell. Thankfully I don't get a reaction to salt.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm LOVING this back to natural hair care journey I'm on. My natural curl pattern is slowly emerging and I LOVE it. My hair already feels and looks thicker, shinier and softer.

Got my silk/satin pillow case today, as per curly hair protocol, and love that too. Have moved away from any hair thingies that are too tight or pull at the roots or even that pull at the natural hair pattern. Found these little mini clips that hold like a snapping turtle all day long which just made all of this possible...can work outside all day without my hair falling into my eyes now.

The fermented rice water leaves my hair squeaky clean, as it does my scalp.

I'm losing zero hair now...not in the comb, not in the shower, not on my clothes or pillow, when I used to shed like a Malamute in Phoenix. That should help me grow my hair out.

Got some hair oil called Amla Gold to incorporate into my weekly scalp massages with castor oil/olive oil/tea tree EO. Got this handy dandy little scalp massager thingy to help in all of that and it feels so good!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
WOW! I would buy a product for an inch of growth per week! :ep I have finally figured out (because of Curly Girl Method) why my hair was breaking off and getting so ratty. I'm not afraid of letting it grow now.
You should try it then, @tortoise When I was about 15 I asked an Indian woman how long she'd been growing her hair, which was quite long. She told me 6 months. I said NO WAY! She told me she uses Amla oil, so I decided to try it myself. I wet my hair, massaged it in and left it in overnight. Washing it out I found a pain, I used ordinary shampoo and it took about 13 washes to get all the oil out, but good heavens, my hair grew after that! I only used it once every few weeks for awhile, since it was such a hassle to wash out afterwards and I got my hair back to the required length so fast. A friend of mine's aunt decided to try it then. Her hair grew very, very, very slowly normally. After using the oil she told us it grew 1 centimetre a week. So there ya go…

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The particular bacteria we want gets wiped out by sodium laurel sulfate. One wash with that kills 1/3 of the bacteria! Probiotics are one way to reintroduce microbes, but getting dirty (in soil) is pretty effective for skin microbiome too.

Then my grand daughters ought to be darned healthy. They can't wait to get here and roll in the dirt. They make me dirt cookies, cakes, ice cream, drinks and sandwiches. :drool Delicious. They wallow in dirt, hug the animals and have fun. They beg for a bath in our garden tub and have fun splashing in it. Life is wonderful for a 3 and 1 1/2 year old. :love

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My midwife commented that farm kids are the healthiest because they're exposed to animals, dirt, fresh air ... My pediatrician always says she hardly knows my 5 year old because we've never had an appointment outside of her scheduled checkups. Healthy, happy farm kids!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Update: I'm at 8 months without using body wash (and other conventional hygiene products). I haven't been using oil on my skin for a few months either. I noticed my legs are shiny! I've *always* had dry scaly skin and keratosis pilaris rubra. The kp is barely there!

DH still hasn't noticed any odor. No issues with underarm wetness since stopping wearing clothes that jam up into armpits and wick moisture.

I stopped shaving underarms to see what would happen. With deodorant, shaving was mandatory or I would stink! Seems to be completely optional. No issues with odor or wetness. I suspect underarm hair prevents moisture from wicking onto clothes, but I haven't done a good test of that suspicion.

My current routine is curly girl approved hair conditioner and hair gel, and avocado and/or jojoba oil on my hair occasionally when it gets frizzy. Soap for washing hands. And sometimes soap for washing feet since I go barefoot most of the time. I use a cream of tartar and lemon juice scrub on my face weekly. I like to put jojoba oil on my face too. I usually brush teeth with just rinse of water. Since eliminating sugar in my diet, my mouth stays nice and fresh and I don't get morning breath unless I cheat and have sugar or artificial sweetener. I use baking soda if toothbrush + water isn't enough, like in the days after having something sweet. If I notice any body odor, I put baking soda on my armpits. When I first started that was several times per day, but now it's just when I go a few days between showering. Since leaving my underarm hair to grow, I started using a nail brush to scrub my underarms to exfoliate the skin.

Latest posts